CHAPTER | F I V E

I woke up and found something blocking the light seeping in through the curtains. Once my eyes adjusted and I rubbed them with the back of my hands, a small face came clear.

“Hey Grace,” she chirped and went over to my bedroom window and wrenched the curtains apart. I squinted at the sudden blinding light from the sun and recoiled back into my bed.

“Aren’t you gonna get up?” She asks and I can feel her small fingers prodding my back. A weight settles down at the end of my bed and I heave a sigh. “What are you doing here so early?” I groan, not intending it to sound so mean but so what, I and Hanna know each other. I practically raised her by baby sitting her. If you’re wondering who she is, she’s my next door neighbour and since she’s an only child, I’m kind of like a big sister.

“Early? Have you lost you mind, woman? It’s nearly twelve.” I jerk up and a sneaky smirk works its way up on her small face. Her smooth dark brown hair flows around her shoulders every time she flicks her head.

“Oh crap! Out of the way Hanna,” I warn and jump out of bed. I take one sniff of myself and gag, yeah I need a shower. I grab a towel and rush into the bathroom which is thankfully free.  Last night I got a late night text from Darcy saying we’d watch the Football players train (like suspected) and then go to Lunch. I’m sure she said she’d be here at twelve but I was half a sleep and the light from my phone very nearly blinded me.

I wash my hair and rinse out the shampoo, loving the rush of hot water on my body. Then, with my towel wrapped around me, I’m run back into my room and look through my closet. Hanna is still here and she kindly made my bed.

“Thanks Hanna,” I say and tell her to leave whilst I put some clothes on. Within fifteen minutes I’m dressed and drying my hair. Hanna waltzing back in and perches herself onto my bed.

“Again, why are you here?” I ask look at her. “I’m not being rude but, it’s like you’re expecting something.” I say slowly and narrow my eyes at her.

“That’s because I am. I’m waiting for you to take me to the park.” She chimes and I let out a squeak. “Hanna, I can’t take you to the park today. I’m sorry but Darcy and I will be going to the local football pitch to see her boyfriend train.” Wow, that sounds very stalker like. Going to watch her boyfriend train? I hope Hanna doesn’t take it the wrong way.

“Perfect,” she jumps up and starts using my hair brush to brush hers. “A pitch with hot football players? I’m in.” I snatch the brush away and glare at her cute but mischievous face. “No, you’re not going. Besides, where’s my mom?” I ask.

“She’s gone out shopping. Your brother’s downstairs making out with his girlfriend.” Hanna informs and I pull a face. “Ew, and I’m guessing your mom wants me to look after you?” I ask already knowing the answer.

“Yeah, she’s started these yoga classes.” I give in and tell her she can come along if she behaves and keep her big mouth shut. Darcy’s outside and sadly I still can’t tell her about the Library with Cayden, not with Hanna around. Darcy doesn’t mind Hanna, they’re good friends too but I can tell she didn’t want her along now because she wanted to ask me questions listed in her mind.

Once we reach the local pitch, Darcy sees an ice-cream van and gives Hanna money to go get whatever she wants. Once she’s out of earshot, Darcy grabs my arms and pulls me to a bench. I tell her everything that happened. I tell her how Cayden drove me home, how he liked my articles and all the things he told me about his future.

“Woah, I wouldn’t have expected that.” She says when Hanna returns. We can see the boys at once side of the pitch warming up. I find Cayden and subconsciously smile. He turns and then looks straight at me, smiling. I just hope I haven’t started blushing but I don’t have time to worry when Hanna is in front of my face, waving at Cayden. He waves back at her and I tell her to sit down.