CHAPTER | T W O

It’s a sweltering day with the sun out. It’s lovely but probably not for the players who are sweating like pigs. Despite the weather, my eyes are narrowed and glued to the game. Without looking, I type a few things on my laptop. I’m used to writing without looking now.

I inhale and my open flannel shirt flaps in the subtle breeze. I look over at Darcy who’s taking pictures of her shoes. You’d think she be interested since her boyfriend is playing and had just scored but no – she’s far from happy.

“What’s go your panties in a twist?” I say quite harshly and snatch the camera off her. She’s meant to be taking good pictures, especially since Cayden requested it.

“Nothing,” she huffs and leans her head in her hands. “I’m just so bored.”

“Daniel just scored,” I say to improve her mood. We’d scored 3-2. The first two were scored by Cayden.

“What do you want me to do? A cartwheel?” She retorts and I stick my tongue out before I put the camera to my eye. I zoom in on Cayden. I know it’s stalker-ish but didn’t he want me to do this? Okay, well he didn’t want exact close up of his face but his dimples where adorable.

I stop this quickly and snap a quick picture with him running with the ball. Satisfied with my work, I take another, this one where he’s stood waiting for his fellow team mates.

“You done drooling over him yet?” Darcy asks with a smirk. Oh so now she smiles?  I ignore her and get back to my laptop. Now I have to do photographs too. Why must my life be so difficult?

After a while I shove the camera in Darcy’s face and she finally does what I asked. She stands up in the crowd and blocks people view – but she hardly cares.

“Hey look,” Darcy sits back down again, struggling to contain her laugh. “I got a picture of Anna getting hit in the face with a pom pom.”

I look and bite down on my fist to stop myself from laughing. Darcy captured it perfectly. Anna’s shining dumbass moment.

“Funny, but I can’t use that,” I shrug.

Darcy makes and impatient sounds and gets back watching the game. “You put my professional photography to waste,” she says and slumps down in her seat.

***

I sit on a stone bench waiting for Darcy to return. She’s my ride home and she went off to find Daniel. The girl couldn’t care less when he’s playing football but when he’s not she’s all ‘Awhh Danny-poo, I wuv you’ and all that crap.