CHAPTER | T H R E E

After Darcy had given me the list, the name kept bugging me. I turned onto my side in bed and bit my nails, chipping my nail varnish. I sighed and went through every name in my head. Pete, of course I knew him. He always helps me no matter what; he’s sweet and caring but my type? No way. I mean, he’s nice but sometimes I feel like I’m taking advantage of him as a friend. I don’t mean to but he always volunteers to help.

Darcy made it very clear that everything he does is because he has a crush on me and not a little one at that. In the end I had to accept the fact that it’s true. Then there’s Ryan on the list and he’s a musician. He sings at school events and I’m sure he’ll do that same at Prom. If he was my date – he’d probably serenade me. The thought is okay but creepy. I could do without a serenade.

I’d never actually had a proper conversation with him before but I think he asked me for my notes in class one time. But how can that make him like me? Maybe he doesn’t and Darcy’s got it all wrong.

I contemplate in calling Darcy. It’s 2 am and she’ll be mad but this list is mad. Darcy wants me to get to know each and everyone of them. Find out things, find the guy that likes me the most and things I have in common with. That’s like Mission Impossible for me. However, it has to be all in time for Senior Prom.

I roll back onto my back and stare at my mundane ceiling. My heavy breathing is loud in the silence but I can’t help but feel nervous. Tomorrow, Darcy will show me who Jay, Asher and Nate are. She says I’ve run into them before but I don’t remember. Not just that – Cayden will be by the printing room for his pictures. A part of me hoped that his name would be on that list – but I was dreaming impossible things.

***

“You look pale and nervous,” Darcy commented observantly. I chuckled and then grimaced. Of course I was nervous. I was on my way to the printing room because I had a free period. “Do I now?” I ask sarcastically which is lost on Darcy.

“I’ll meet you in English. Tell me how it goes with Cayden.” Darcy says and winks at the last part. I roll my eyes and push open the door to the PR. I take my seat beside my computer and put yesterday’s picture’s onto it. I glance at the clock often, thinking when Cayden will come by but the door swings open and there he is. I notice his broad shoulders, his furrowed eyebrows, those soft lips but his eyes, his eyes are the most mesmerising. Clear blue and dazzling.

Damn he is hot!

Shut it pervy brain. Knowing me, it’d be unlikely to fall for the school Football captain. I don’t know how it happened and it’s all quite cliché but I can’t help it. Cayden’s not like most. He’s passing all his subjects and he’s great in English. It’s my favourite class and it must be his apart from Football training.

“Hey Grace,” he smiles and a grin finds his lips. I smile and turn to look at my computer screen to hide my blush. Oh I must look like a fire truck that’s on fire…on the sun.

“Hi Cayden,” I say feebly and stand up. I don’t know why I just did. The pictures were already on the screen and several of them were of him. I hope he doesn’t think I was ogling at them before he came.

“You got the pictures,” he smiles and pulls out a hard drive from his pocket. He gestures to my seat and asks, “Can I sit?”

“Err, yeah, go ahead.” I giggle. God! When did I start giggling? I watch as he selects the images and store them on his hard drive. Within minutes he’s up and placing the hard drive away.

“Thanks, they were some good pictures.” He says and then slowly turns to leave. I take my seat when he suddenly spins around and looks at me.

“You know how Mr. Fitzgerald is making us pair up to write up a presentation?” He asks and I recollect that assignment. We had to pair up and discuss and write a full presentation on William Shakepeare’s – The Taming of the Shrew for English. I was meant to be working with Darcy.