CHAPTER | O N E

The poster was like a slap – a huge kick in the stomach when I saw it. I hadn’t been dreading it until recently and it wasn’t my main concern. The senior prom poster had been put up five weeks prior to the event. It was pinned to the white wall with plaster crumbling off it and on the floor was a pile of dust. And the worst thing of all is that I have to be there to write my final article about it before graduation.

I grimace at the poster of a silhouetted couple dancing in a bright spotlight. Everyone says it’s good fun and I bet it is but there’s that little small print just at the bottom reading YOU MAY OR MAY NOT BRING A DATE. Always read the small print. Of course they give you an option but if you’re dateless, you’ll be crowned loser just before graduation.

 “Nice, senior prom is finally here.”

I look to my right and sigh. Darcy is beautiful. I mean really really beautiful that she could snap her fingers and have a date. It’s her long red-ish hair, that cute smile and dimples, her laugh and sense of humour. But she doesn’t need to bother snapping any fingers because she has Daniel – her boyfriend for over a year now.

 “Well you look happy about it. What’s wrong?” She asks and joins me down the corridor as I weave my way through the rush of students. “Nothing,” I lie. “Just wondering what to write about that chess tournament I went to last week.”

 You see, I’m head of the school paper. I either want to be a journalist or a writer. I don’t mind which as long as I get to write or have my say.

 “Mm, sounds like you had fun,” Darcy says and suppresses a laugh. I can’t help but roll my eyes and say, “Yeah, tons of fun. I just loved watching a kid break down over whether to move the tiny horse or not.” I could tell my voice dripped with sarcasm but that’s what I was going for. That chess tournament was the worst three hours of my life.

 Darcy gave a small giggle, tucked a loose strand of her hair behind her ear and then stared at me intently as if examining me. “You will go to Senior Prom, right?” She questions.

Oh God! How’d she guess that I was dreading the event? Obviously I don’t want to go but what choice do I have? I have to write for the school paper meaning I’ll have to be there. However, that’s not the real reason, but the article is my excuse.

 “Of course. I mean, it’s my last time writing for the paper. I wouldn’t miss it for the world.” Then I pulled the most unconvincing smile that I’m sure turned out a grimace and quickly turned away from her. I caught Darcy furrow her eyebrows at me but then shrug.

“Well okay then. Daniel’s already asked me.” She grinned and I matched her smile. Daniel is nice and good to Darcy. Since they have been going out for over 365 days, it was obvious they’d be at prom together.

“So who will you go with?” She asks and there starts that topic I didn’t want to discuss. I pushed past people to the water fountain and took a drink to steer away from that subject. Once Darcy’s leaning against the wall and has forgotten what she asked, I stand up and have water dripping down my chin. Lovely. I hastily wipe it away when the head cheerleader and the Football Captain walk by. Anna and Cayden.

 Cayden looks at me for a split second but doesn’t see me as important enough for his time. But Anna detaches herself from Cayden’s arm and skips towards me. They aren’t dating but I don’t miss Anna’s exclaims about how hot Cayden is or how gorgeous he is. Don’t get me wrong, he’s both those things yet Cayden takes no interest in Anna which makes me happy.

 “Hey Grace.” She chimed in that sweetly sick voice. I managed a force a smile. Her face lit up and she starts twirling her dark brown hair with her fingers whilst bouncing on the balls of her feet.  “So the big game is tomorrow and I know you’re doing the article for it. But could you put something nice in about the cheerleaders?” She winks and put her hand on my arm. I gulp down my saliva and nod with some difficulty.