Chapter 9: Ominis - Secret Reunions & Impending Time

Ugh!

I hated lying to Emelia.

Keeping things from her, especially stealing, made my chest ache with a pain I didn't want to grow accustomed to; I could feel my soul twist in agony every time I told her I had to run an 'errand'.

The errand was me going and helping Sebastian prepare for classes.

When I came back, Emelia had fallen asleep reading on the table, covered by a blanket; I carried her to lay her in bed, whispering to her promises that I hope to keep, begging for her forgiveness when the moment comes, to have pity on me and my heart, to understand I was only doing what was best for her.

Presently, I held the letter Professor Weasley had written to her.

Yes, I'd taken it when Anne was gone; I wasn't proud of my actions, but I had to keep Emelia from finding out the truth.

I was in the middle of trying to figure out a plan. Classes started back tomorrow, and I couldn't think of anything, for the life of me, how to explain to her that Sebastian was here.

I sighed in frustration as I sat in the undercroft with Sebastian practicing his newly learned spells in the widened space, the musical instruments playing a soft tune; my body leaned forward, elbows resting on my knees and my head in my hands, rubbing my face in irritation.

"Come on, mate; don't look so glum," Sebastian insisted, his voice fatigued by his relentless devotion to getting the charms right. "You beat me the other day fair and square; not many get to say that."

I ignored him, recalling the day I returned from dueling him, there was apparent soot on my face that he didn't tell me, but was secretly grateful for it; when I went back to the Room of Requirement, Emelia was there and she came up to me, and caringly wiped the ash from my face with her soft and gentle hand, rubbing her thumb on my blushing cheek; I bravely held her small hand in mine, not wanting her warmth to part from me.

We...shared something...

A moment...

Another of many I hoped to experience...

I felt myself slowly leaning in towards her, but then she brought me back to reality, asking about the night I took care of her – if we kissed.

I told her the truth.

I groaned, avoiding the memory; right now, I tried to think of something.

Anything.

"Ominis," Sebastian's voice called out to me.

I continued to pay him no mind.

"Ominis!" he hollered louder.

"What?" I asked annoyed, raising my head from my hands towards him, my elbows remaining on my knees.

"Hey, don't bite my head off," he said in surrender, "I'm just trying to get your attention since your mind's elsewhere."

"My mind wouldn't have to be elsewhere if someone were to help me think of something instead of just me thinking of a plan like always!" I exclaimed exasperated, standing from my seat and pacing around, rising anger making itself known. "Classes resume tomorrow, Sebastian, and I've been struggling for days to think of something, and how to bring you up before Emelia! I had to steal this damned letter behind her back!" I shouted, waving the letter aggressively at him, "and I feel like I'm going mad just to keep her safe and happy!"

I heard Sebastian exhale heavily. "I-I'm sorry, Ominis..."

I exhaled heavily, standing still, clenching the envelope in my hand; I put the tip of my wand to the edge of it and lit it on fire with a heavy sigh.