Chapter 2: Emelia - Heartfelt Gifts & Desperate Desires

I continued to stare down at the old Daily Prophets that Ominis had snatched from home to give me after summer break, he wanted me to see them for myself; the one I put on my right side we had found in Hogsmeade before winter break – the latest news about our friend. I moved my eyes left and right, reading the front of the papers.

SEBASTIAN SALLOW OR "SHALLOW" SALLOW
INNOCENT MURDERER OR JUST CALLOUS?

SEBASTIAN SALLOW SENTENCED TO AZKABAN!UNFORTUNATE SOUL OR RIGHTFUL CONSEQUENCE?

SHALLOW SALLOW NOW SILENT?
WHAT'S HE HIDING?

POSSIBLE EARLY RELEASE FOR SEBASTIAN "SHALLOW" SALLOW?
WHAT'S THE MINISTRY THINKING?

-

                                       SEBASTIAN SALLOW RELEASED FROM AZKABAN!

                                                FAIR OR UNJUST RULING?

He didn't want to look straight in either snapshots but comparing his face from being sentenced where he seemed to have accepted his fate to being released – he looked defeated, his face had thinned, dark circles under his eyes easily seen like he hadn't slept in days, his hair was greasy and a tad longer touching his forehead, and his eyes – they were fearful, darting from left to right.

I lifted my fingers and rubbed his cheek on the latest paper as if he could feel it.

My heart couldn't handle seeing him like this. I was happy that he was out of that Hell, but it's the aftermath that I'm worried about; being in Azkaban, no matter the length of stay, must've taken a toll on him, it was clearly seen judging by the two moving photos.

I sighed, feeling tears fill my eyes both with sorrow and dormant anger.

What happened to him? Where is he now? Is he okay? I still wanted to know why he did it – why he turned himself in.

I shook my head, trying to unscramble my thoughts.

That's ridiculous! Of course, he's alright! He's got to be alright! I...have to believe he's alright!

I felt my body slump.

He didn't have to owl me, but he could've at least sent a letter to Ominis....Ominis!

My body jerked up and almost forgot to finish decorating for his surprise.

I stacked the newspapers, taking a quick glance at his face before hiding it under graded homework assignments I finished for potions and herbology, then I went to finish my surprise.

-

"Merry Christmas, Ominis!" I shouted. I was up all day yesterday and night preparing everything and running around all night, decorating the room as best as I could, even inside the viviariums for the magical creatures. I wanted Ominis to have a wonderful and memorable Christmas, even with just me; I knew my efforts wouldn't compare to the Sallow twins when he spent summers or Christmas with them, but I still hoped he'd like it regardless.

I was operating on a couple loads of coffee and was starting to get shaky, and I think I was starting to hallucinate, especially about Ominis.

Ominis was still getting out of bed, sleepily, some strands had made their way onto his forehead, some hair sticking up, but nothing that he couldn't fix easily; if anything, he looked more attractive if he let his hair loose like that. He sat up and hung his legs on the side of the bed, barely standing, his eyes were droopy, still adjusting; he stood and stretched his body in all directions, some of his muscles showing their strikingly defined outline through his pajamas when he moved his body certain ways, yawning in the process.