Chapter 7: Sebastian/3rd POV - Anticipating Arrival & New Light

Three more days.

Three more days and I'd have to show my presence in front of my peers, who once admired me, knew that I was the best duelist in the entire school; however, they'll fear me now, keep away like I was death itself.

I paced around the undercroft anxiously; I don't think I can do this...

I tried to recall Isaacs encouraging words.

"Learning from those mistakes is what makes us who we are. It's never something to take lightly..." his voice echoed, "it's because you regret what you did that you feel this way," he stated.

I sighed, exhaling air out of my mouth, tightening my fists, and determination running through my veins.

No! I had to do this! It was the only way to prove that I wasn't a mere criminal – a coward – I was better than my past, that my past didn't define me, but I had to remind myself that my image wouldn't change overnight.

It was going to take time.

The scary part was that I didn't know how much time.

Until then, I'd have to endure all the sideways glances, the whispers and gossip around me, students quickly clearing out of my way, not out of respect but out of terror, thinking they'll be my next victim.

"Ugh!" I groaned, rubbing the side of my head; my brain pounding in my skull.

I found myself back at my original position by the table. The aches in my physique became known; I stretched my entire body, feeling stiff and pain everywhere. I sat down in my semi-comfortable chair and felt my muscles relax a bit. Since Ominis discovered and left me here, I've been studying tirelessly with little to no sleep and barely eating, cramming my mind as much as I could; whenever I granted my mind a break from the literature, it still didn't know peace – I don't think it ever will again.

The unwanted memories of that dreadful place slithered into my mind; recollections of the past flashed before my eyes. Sometimes I thought I was still actually there; I'd look around and I was in my cell or facing dementors, boggarts...everything all over again – it felt so real.

I'd curl up in a ball in the corner of the stone prison and when my mind returned to the present, I'd be in the same position in the undercroft, either in a corner or against the pillars.

It was too quiet in the undercroft, I had to conjure a musical orchestra to fill the silence. I realized that if my mind was preoccupied by music or reading, the memories of Azkaban wouldn't bother me.

The string quartet was similar to the one in the Defense Against the Dark Arts tower, playing classical music while I studied every page of the textbooks.

The words on the pages were starting to merge together and my brain was converting to mush.

I didn't know what time it was, but one thing was certain: I needed a break. 

Forcing myself up to my feet, I looked towards the door to the undercroft, swallowing hard.

"I promised I wouldn't do anything without Ominis," I muttered to myself.

I was just going out to clear my head.

I took a deep breath and nodded, grabbing my wand and hat, halting the instruments' playing and exited the undercroft.

I peeked out of the entrance door and gradually opened it, making sure the coast was clear.

Calmly walking around the DADA tower, I decided I needed a change of scenery; taking a deep breath, putting on my cap and summoning whatever bravery I had in me, I went through the exit doors at the bottom of the stairs and out towards the world.