Chapter 8: Emelia - Honest Talk & Warm Memories

I couldn't concentrate to save my life.

I was in the Room of Requirement attempting to study more on my Ancient Runes for class; I had showered from Imelda dragging me out to do some quidditch practice, but it wasn't making any sense because my mind was preoccupied and couldn't help but think about it – if Ominis and I had kissed.

I needed to know.

I had to ask him.

I let Alistair out of his enclosure to explore the tabletop while I was reading; he slithered towards me with his tongue going in and out, softly hissing at me every so often.

"Do you think Ominis kissed me?" I asked the reptile, my head leaning in my palm.

He just twisted his head and gently moved towards me, pecking his nose and flicking his tongue on my cheek.

I giggled. "Not you, sweetie," I grinned, giving him a small kiss on his head in return, "but thanks," I appreciated, my cheeks blushing from the simple gesture; I stroked his smooth scales, and he went off to explore again.

Shaking my semi-dried hair, I exhaled heavily, trying to gather up the courage to ask Ominis, not to mention, how I'm even going to bring it up.

Without giving me any time to think, Ominis strode in, a hand at the back of his neck, stretching his head from side to side; he groaned, closing the door, looking exhausted.

"Hey, are you alright?" I asked, standing from my seat, walking towards him, concerned for his well-being.

He stopped in the middle of the room, hand falling from to his side; the left side of his face was covered in soot.

Where did he go?

"I'm completely fine," he replied with a grin, "just practicing our new spells from Charms on some dummies," he answered, a soft chuckle escaped his lips as if he was telling an inside joke.

"Well, I bet you showed them," I teased, smirking.

"I did," he stated proudly, puffing up his chest a bit.

I laughed. "Well, with all that excitement, you didn't seem to notice the aftermath," I informed him, gazing at his left cheek.

"What do you mean?" he asked, his brows furrowed in question.

I chuckled, raising my hand up to place on the left side of his face, rubbing away the grime with my thumb. "You have some ash on you," I muttered, focused on cleaning his cheek.

He stiffened surprised but soon relaxed, leaning forward to me, making sure I got it all.

His whole body seemed to ease when I touched his warm, smooth skin. As I cleaned his cheek delicately, I felt his strong cheekbones underneath and saw his beautiful moles; I slid my eyes to his mesmerizing cloudy ones and wondered how he'd see me if he had sight, if his eyes would still glisten when he saw me like they did when he heard me speak. Turning my eyes downward towards his lips, I swallowed hard, feeling drawn to them again like I was when I was intoxicated; they were beckoning me.

I didn't know I stopped rubbing his face until his warm hand grasped mine and held it gently against his cheek, leaning into my palm affectionately.

My mouth dried and I gulped a huge lump in my throat. "O...Ominis," I started, "I need to ask you something..."

"What is it, my princess?" he asked in a faint voice; something in the way he said that made a chill go up my spine. His eyelids drooped, and eyes bored into mine almost like he was looking directly at me.

"When you were taking care of me..." I began, taking my time.

"Mmm..." was all Ominis hummed, caressing my hand lightly with his fingers; I don't even think he heard what I said.