XIV

Meher was back home from a hectic day at work and she didn't waste a second in plopping on her bed.

Just as she was going to fall asleep, her phone started ringing. She groaned and flopped her hands around trying to find it and without looking at the caller she picked up the phone.

"Hello, who's this? " she asked tiredly

"Itna lamba time ho gaya kya, that you even deleted my contact? " a man said  quietly from the other side.

The voice of that one person, she had been longing to hear again.

"It's not my fault, make it up to me and I'll save your number again. " Meher huffed.

"Then come meet me, I'm at home" He chuckled.

Her exhaustion disappeared as she jumped up from her bed, scrambling around to get ready.

꒷꒦꒷꒦꒷꒦꒷꒦꒷꒦꒷

Meher jumped into his arms as soon as the door opened, "Aksh Bhai, I missed you, I really missed you. "

And as much as she tried to stop herself from crying, she couldn't, all of the things that happened with her in the past months started rushing in her mind, and she thought If Aksh Bhai would've been there maybe I would have had the courage to leave when I should've.

"Arre what happened, did you miss me this much, hawww missie I didn't know I held such importance in your life. " Aksh joked, trying to lighten the mood, when he saw her crying.

Hearing him Meher cried harder, "Bhai,  I suffered so much without you, please don't leave again. "

Aksh stopped laughing sensing something was wrong, and then he took her inside.

꒷꒦꒷꒦꒷꒦꒷꒦꒷꒦꒷

"You got married without telling me, and I forgave you. Whenever I called you after to ask about your well being what did you tell me? Huh!

Aksh Bhai, I am great, Asad treats me so well, he is the best husband, yada yada"  Aksh gritted out angrily.

"All the while he was abusing you, why didn't you tell me Meher, I have never taken it lightly when I said that you are my sister, but did you ever think of me as a brother.

Because if you did you would've told me the second that bastard spoke disrespectfully to you.

Where is he by the way, I need to get a few words drilled in his brain. "

"I'm sorry, I'm so sorry, I didn't know what to do, I thought I could make it all work out.

I know I was a complete idiot. Because of my carelessness, my daughter died, I know all of that. " Meher cried out.

Aksh looked at her sadly and then hugged her tightly, " No baccha, don't blame yourself, you were a victim. All of it is that bastard's fault.

Instead I'm so proud, that you left him, that you gained the courage to choose what was right for you.

I'm so damn proud of you. "

Something in her healed that day.