Chapter 24: Old Wounds.

At some point in life we all become slaves to something: maybe to our desires, pain or hate. And when you decide to liberate yourself. That is when you truly start living.

*****

Old Wounds

†A Couple Of Weeks Later†

Monday, February 15th, 2019.

It was Monday, a work-free day. I peeked outside through my curtains. The morning sun was very pregnant with brightness. I opened my room window and allowed the fresh and cold air to tease my skin. The weather was gentle, an amalgamation of warmth and cool. It smelled like wet sand, fresh bougainvillea flowers, and abscised gmelina leaves. It was a reminder that there was a heavy downpour the night before. It was the first rain of the season. It was odd that it rained in February, but due to the recent climate change, anything can happen. Especially in my country, we were at the earth's equator.

I was feeling good today, after a long time. Ever since I got my first job at the Bremin tech, I have not rested. I worked there as an assistant receptionist while Kulthum was the boss's PA. They said we were not qualified to hold any solid position since we were both undergraduates. The company's criterion for selecting employees was greatly based on their academic expertise.

Our school was due to resume today and it would be my first day in my penultimate year in college. It was good to feel fresh rather than rusty after a forty-eight days break from school because of two successive postponements of the resumption date due to some unforeseen circumstances at the end of the school administration.

Fortunately for me, the break was put into judicious use. At least I was able to earn a fortune from my job. I would use the money to fund my needs throughout the semester. My mum didn't have to worry about my tuition fees anymore because I had already taken care of that. I was slowly growing into the independent woman that I had always wanted to be.

I couldn't wait to reunite with my friends and colleagues at school. First days at school were always the best: aside from the crazy reunions with friends, you get a piece of firsthand information about the academic year calendar. Some lecturers, the ones without happy homes would like to start their classes that very day. If you are not so lucky, you might miss their attendance, and perhaps even worse, they may decide to set tests. I wonder if they have a vicious intent for the students' downfall.

I spent weeks preparing for this day, I wanted nothing more than to return to school, I had a pending degree to acquire. That was a reminder that I had to get ready for school. I had already picked out my outfit for the day, and thanks to my mother she had my hair done the previous day. I was already on my way to the bathroom. This was the part where I missed Salma, she used to prepare my bath when she was around. Now that she wasn't here anymore I had to go back to my old boring lifestyle where I did everything alone in my small yet comfortable space.

Salma, by her father's permission, came to spend her holiday with me, as you already know. But last week her father came by to take her home so she'd have time to prepare for the resumption. I haven't heard from her ever since she left. As for Kulthum, we spoke every other day at work, except for the weekends. And Imran on the other hand, had refused to talk to me since the other day he ran off to visit his grandmother at the hospital. I guess you already know why this day is so important to me and why I couldn't miss school on this very day.

After taking my bath, I came out of the bathroom feeling fresh and cleansed like a newborn. I threw on my black abaya and a nude brown veil. I didn't bother to apply makeup on my face, but I didn't fail to decorate my eyes with kohl which was like a daily routine for me. I learned from my mother that kohl had a medicinal effect on the eye. I grabbed my satchel bag and stocked it up with my books before leaving my room.