Chapter 9: Zayn And Yasmeen.

It is the greatest misfortune of love that it is seldom enjoined safely by those who are capable of enjoying it completely, only people who know loss can truly appreciate unrequited love when befallen by such misfortune. It's okay to hurt when you can and cry when you must. This is just you being human.

*****

Zayn And Yasmeen

It was Saturday afternoon, the weather was quite friendly and the harmattan breeze was gentle as well, gentle enough to put an infant to sleep.

Zayn had gone out to catch a game with some of his old friends with whom he had lost touch. They had a small get-together at the New Polo club in the Statehouse Aso Villa where they competed against each other in horse racing. And they were now heading back home In Omar's car. It was just three of them in the car, others had taken a different route to their abode.

In the driver's seat was Omar, at the other side of the front seat was Mohammad, one of their friends from high school while Zayn took the back seat.

"Man, did you see how he rode that beast? It was IN ZAYN (insane)." Screamed Omar who was excited about Zayn winning three times in a row during the game.

"You were on fire brother." Mohammad nodded, turning back to look at Zayn. "You still have it in you. You didn't cut down on your obsession for horse racing."

"And swimming," Omar added, looking up at Zayn via the rearview mirror which made zayn chuckle lightly when their eyes met.

"Okay! enough of the flattering." He leaned back on the seat. "I miss Ahmad. You guys have gone soft. Especially you Mohammad." He teased playfully which got the other men laughing out loudly in their manly voices. According to Zayn, Ahmad was a formidable opponent as he was the second best in horse racing back when they were still young high school boys.

"You won't blame me for that brother. With three kids and a wife, I'm hardly alone. Let alone have time to practice. You know what I mean bro." Mohammad joked and Omar laughed.

Zayn glanced at the both of them with a sly smile, and he leaned over to give his friend a handshake: "wow! You've had three shots already? Mashaa Allah! You're the real man brother." He joked, earning a loud laugh from the men. "Khalifa what are you waiting for? Your mate has got three shots already." He teased again, turning to Omar.

"I'm waiting on you brother."

"You might wait forever."

"Forever is near cus man can't die a virgin." It was Omar's turn to tease him and they burst out laughing.

While they laughed all the way teasing each other, Zayn knew at the back of his heart that this matter was a serious one. His mind momentarily drifted back to the discussion he had had with his mother the night before. His mother had been urging him to get married since he was twenty-six already and some of his mates were already married. She feared that he might end up remaining single forever because of his reserved nature and lack of interest in women.

I doubt if it was the fear of commitment that kept him waiting. The truth was that he had very high standards for girls. And none of the girls he had met had yet to meet up to any of his standards. The only person who had gotten close enough was Aylin. While he knew that it was unrealistic to have such high expectations from a human when nobody was impeccable, he wasn't ready to settle for less, at least not when he still had more time to make up his mind to settle down, that is if he'd have a chance with Aylin.

"How are your wife and kids doing?" He finally brought himself to ask when the noise had died down and Omar was about to pull into his compound.

"Alhamdulillah, Zara and the kids are doing great. She should be here by now, possibly helping out with the decorations. That's her job anyways." Said Mohammad with a proud grin at Zayn, by that time they were already in the compound. The women were going up and down in preparation for the big party.