Chapter 6: A Walk To The Party.

There is something sweet about something forbidden. The soul usually knows what to do to heal itself. The challenge is to silence the mind.

*****

A Walk To The Party

It's been two days since Kulthum was able to convince my mum to let us attend the party. I didn't know how she pulled it off but I was glad she made it happen as promised. At first, Mum had protested against it which was only natural because she was my mum and she was African. African parents! You can't live with them and you can't live without them. She made us swear to meet her conditions for letting us off the hook.

It was Friday, the sun was up in the sky as always sending glorious rays down to earth. I and the girls were about to go through our normal Friday routine where we would have our nails done, fix our hair, and polish our skin at some fabulous spa in preparation for the event tomorrow. Just kidding, there wasn't any fabulous spa. It was just me and my girlfriends alone at the apartment just enjoying the Friday miracle. Fridays were visiting days for my mum so she went out in the company of Teslim and her kids to see some friends.

Salma had made it clear that she wouldn't attend the party right from the onset since her father decided against it. So, it was just me and kulthum that would go with Imran. And however it is over there, girls didn't want to go looking ugly so we decided to come through with a home spa.

It wasn't necessarily a Jacuzzi kind of spa by the way. Salma had mixed turmeric, glycerin, and some other organic ingredients in a container and we applied it on our faces, then waited for the effect to take place, and then went on to have a warm bath. That was how we survived since we were dead broke and couldn't afford a spa. Once done we didn't have much to do so we just lazed around, had some girly talk, and my friends as usual went online searching for the hottest boys on Instagram. This went on for a while until it was Jumu'ah time and we headed out in a group to the Masjid along with some of our neighbors and a couple of kids in the yard.

Later that evening Kulthum received a call from her mother, asking her to come home the next morning. Her older brother, Yusuf had fallen ill and was admitted to a nearby hospital. On hearing the news we couldn't wait till the next day because his condition was critical and Umm kulthum (kulthum's mum) needed someone to help run her errands. My mum suggested that Salma, kulthum, and I go stay with her at the hospital.

Salma had driven us to the hospital in her car. Luckily for us, it was the hospital where my mum worked. I knew every nook and cranny of the place so we didn't get into trouble looking for the ward the patient had been placed under observation.

*****

On Saturday morning by nine O'clock, we drove back to the apartment once the sun had come out of its hiding place. I was considering whether to go on with my plan to attend the party with Imran because I was worried about my friend whose brother was in a coma. I saw him yesterday before he went into Coma. He looked like a traumatized wizened old man. Wallah! The sight was agonizing. I could tell by just a single glance at him that he was suffering excruciating pain.

Salma had encouraged me that morning, telling me how it was important to honour Imran's invitation but honestly, I had lost vibes and I didn't even know what to wear to the party. Most of the clothes in my closet were abayas, native attire, and casual outfits.

When the time was thirty minutes past six at sunset I had already dressed up in a simple brocade gown, my usual attire. I liked simple and free clothes because they helped to conceal my shape. Sometimes I felt a little insecure about my small statue and how kulthum and Salma would mock me over my small height. I wasn't that short though, at least I was normal. At my age, I didn't know my actual height, for shame.