Chapter 20: A Sudden Realization.

Just by living, people hurt others without even realizing it. So long as humanity exists, hate will also exist.

*****

A Sudden Realization

The moment he disappeared out of sight, I rushed into Salma's car and burst into warm tears. I held my hands to my lips so I couldn't hear myself cry. I rested my head on the steering and just allowed the warm tears to flow freely. I was too angry to even try and stop myself from crying. My limbs started trembling as my body felt sore all over. It felt like I didn't own myself anymore, only he did that to me.

"Hannan, are you alright?" Salma's voice came from behind me, making me jerk slightly. I sighed in exasperation as I raised my head to meet her gaze. She didn't fail to hide her surprise when she saw me crying.

"Are you crying?" She snickered with an amused expression. She brought a hand to my chin and I winced.

"What does it look like I'm doing?" I muttered. She grinned at that and then came to take her seat near me. She wrapped an arm around me and I resisted the urge to pull away from her. She had a stupid smile plastered on her face and I knew exactly what it meant.

"Was that Zayn?" Oh No! She didn't just ask that. I threw a dark glare at her. Did she have to ask that now?

"Who's Zayn?" I asked, giving her a confused look. She stared at me, confusion written all over her expression.

" Imran's brother, the gorgeous man you talked about, "I looked at her face dubiously, critically scrutinizing her face like she had something there that needed to be wiped away.

"Who are you talking about? Who the heck is Imran's brother?" I questioned, knitting my brows together. I just wanted to make her nervous (for finding amusement in my current state) and she bought it. "Listen to me carefully," I said slowly, looking straight into her eyes and I saw nervousness taking over her expression. "Imran doesn't have a brother like that, do you understand me?"

She opened her mouth to speak but didn't say a word. I wanted to make her question her thoughts and it wasn't hard to do so. The expression on her face made me want to laugh but I was too angry to do that. We remained silent for a while. I reached for a handkerchief in my purse and wiped my face with it.

"But he did look like the guy from that picture." I heard her saying and I frowned, casting a painful glance her way. I noticed her shift uncomfortably in her seat.

"What part of I don't wanna have this conversation do you not understand Salma?" I didn't mean to sound so crabby but I couldn't help it.

"I'm sorry," she whispered, lowering her eyes at me.

"I'm sorry too." I huffed. Zayn's stupid imperant voice rang in my head again and I felt the tears reappearing in my eyes. I quickly wiped them off to stop myself from feeling more miserable and humiliated than I already felt.

I heaved a deep sigh and stared out of the window. My head was aching, something that usually occurred to me whenever I cried. I didn't want to hate that man, but he had just sowed a seed of hatred in my heart. I didn't think I may ever be able to bring myself to forgive him for what he had done to me on that very day.

"And please don't say anything concerning that man to me ever again. As long as I live he doesn't exist to me." I warned Salma and I meant every single word I uttered. She didn't say a word afterward. I got out of the car.

Salma and her little niece followed closely behind me as we went around the hospital in search of kulthum and the ward where her brother was admitted. I dialed her line but she didn't pick up the phone.