Chapter 22: Quest For Answers

The most important moments are the ones that make you realize there's what you stand to gain and there's what you stand to lose. And you simply become cocky when you think you have nothing to lose.

*****

Quest For Answers

†A Week Later†

†1:00 Am Monday Morning†

"This is all too confusing!" Zayn declared, feeling exasperated and utterly puzzled deep down. He stood next to Marium who was looking intently into a microscope. He had been staring at the test and scan results that lay scattered on the lab workbench. He yearned for answers and wished the problem at hand could just miraculously solve itself. He was simply tired of fighting an already lost battle.

 The patient in the twentieth ward only had a few hours to live until death laid its cold hands on him, even so, Zayn was determined to do anything humanly possible to restore his health. God forbid that all hell broke loose, he may not be able to live with himself knowing that he had a slim chance to save the patient's life.

That's not going to happen, In Shaa Allah! He thought with conviction.

"Do you think he might make it till tomorrow before he finally gives up the ghost?" Asked Marium who was now collecting her hair into her palm. She got a little distracted by her hair  falling on her shoulders for God knows why, and so decided to pin it down

"I have no idea, Marium. His condition seems to be getting worse."He looked down at the papers in front of him, lifting his gaze from one to the other. He didn't seem to understand anything from what he was looking at. He and Marium had been on the job for more than a week now and it was painful to think that they couldn't come up with any logical answers as to the origin and cause of the disease.

"There is no easy way to say this. He's done for. I don't know if you're thinking what I'm thinking. From what I know this is a blind battle, we don't even know what we are up against. So if you ask me, I'll suggest we just watch him perish since there's only a few hours left until it finally happens...." She trailed off saying upon seeing the look on Zayn's face. She saw disbelief in his eyes. Judging by her words she sounded so unprofessional which infuriated him.

"Are you suggesting we let him die, knowing we still have little chance of saving his life?" He interrogated, folding his arms across the chest with a cringed forehead and knitted brows. That look on his face, like a wounded lion made her feel a little unsettled. Glancing at him at that moment, one could say he was utterly angry, but that wasn't the case. He was quite distressed.

"If we have the slimmest chance of doing so, we may still try, but what difference does it make? We don't have much time, Zayn." Judging from her last statement he could tell that she was tired and was already thinking of quitting. He couldn't blame her much because even he was tired as well. He fought the urge not to think less of her because deep within he was already questioning her work ethic. A doctor shouldn't give up on his patient until there is no reason to try. That was his conviction and that conviction was what she lacked as a professional.

She waited for him to reply, but he didn't, not that he couldn't. He just didn't want to make utterances that would create tension between them. A loud silence clouded the moment with the both of them returning their attention to what they had been doing. 

A few minutes passed as he studied the results over and over again still to no avail, during the entire time he couldn't help but think of how the parents of the patient might cope with the news of their son's death. There was something incredibly interesting about reality that made Zayn question the purpose of life, nature, and human existence. The ultimate reality of life is that it ends in death.