Chapter 18: Lawless.

Hi guys, I'm dedicating this chapter to my new friends, DreLeonWrites and _TheAudacity1. They're the sweetest people you can find here on Wattpad. Thanks for what you do guys, I'm honored to have you two here. This is my special way of showing my gratitude for your support. Lots of love from Halishar.🥰🦋

*****

Lawless

†Twelve Years Ago†

†A Trip Down Memory Lane,†

†Within The Baze Academy†

*It was Monday, and the morning bells had rung for classes to begin. While everyone was inside, Zayn sat on the bench under a tree somewhere in the school premises, well, not doing anything in particular, just waiting for the classes to begin just so he could stroll in when everyone was seated on their various classroom chairs. It was a habit he couldn't help.

When everywhere had cleared out, the hallways deserted, the almighty Zayn could now bring himself to go to his class. He had been reading a book while walking, the Da Vinci Code, a book by Dan Brown that he found very intriguing.

Hmmm, interesting. I didn't see that coming. Mary Magdalene and Jesus Christ? He said thoughtfully as he wore his sling backpack over one shoulder and held out the book in front of him with the other hand. He knew his way around even though he was quite engrossed in the book that he was reading. He had been in the school for three years and was currently in his final year so if he were to be blindfolded he still wouldn't miss his way.

He would come to school early but always entered the class late for some egoistic reasons. They had Further Math by 8 am, which was their first class. The class was already going on by the time he sauntered in.

"Good morning Zayn." The teacher said sarcastically, earning his attention. He didn't acknowledge the teacher who was a potbellied and bald man with large eyebrows which made Zayn think he didn't lose his hair, he might have cut them off because it looked so unnatural to have that many eyebrows and still be balding. "You're late again today."He pointed out in a warning tone.

"Good morning Mr. Maxwell." He replied sarcastically too, closing the book on acknowledging the presence of the teacher he despised the most in the school. It wasn't just his appearance but his attitude that made Zayn sick to the core and because he didn't want to be disrespectful he halted on the spot waiting for the grumpy old man's permission to sit, perhaps chastising him for coming late to his class. He was just fifteen minutes late but for someone like Mr. Maxwell even coming one minute behind the time was a crime.

"Sit in any empty seat." The unclear and rather open-ended instruction confused Zayn to the point where he was about to ask if Mr. Maxwell was talking to him alone or the entire class. But then he realized there was only one empty seat in the back row, his usual spot, and sighed in relief. For Zayn, deciding where to sit would be too big of a decision to make as the teacher had deliberately rearranged everyone like he usually did before he began teaching.

As he walked up to his seat, he saw Marium in the middle row. She was one of the smartest girls in the class and always took the front seat near Ahmad. Well, Ahmad was lucky enough to remain in his spot too.

He always thought that Marium was mentally attractive and often wondered why she stared at him sometimes. Maybe because she was crushing on him, he thought to himself even though he knew he might be wrong. The funny truth was that he was the one infatuated with her and he had been trying to suppress the feelings for a long time. She was the only girl he had ever had such funny feelings for and that was because she was just too intelligent and maybe not so pretty but her physical appearance meant nothing to him. She was brilliant enough to compete with him in grades, that was all he found attractive about her. She had been part of the reason he worked extra hard to keep up his lead in the class with his good grades. She was a formidable opponent as such he grew afraid to approach her. They had never spoken to each other, perhaps exchanged greetings. Deep down he constantly had to pretend like he wasn't watching her secretly, which hurt more because the universe didn't give him so many choices.