Chapter #13

As Harry, Ron, Hermione and Alexia sat at the Gryffindor table in the bustling Great Hall, Alexia could feel the weight of exhaustion pressing down on her shoulders. The whispers and stares from her fellow students had only intensified since the scandalous article in the Daily Prophet had been published, and it was taking its toll on her.

Resting her head on the table, Alexia let out a weary sigh, her energy drained from the constant scrutiny and judgment. Hermione placed a comforting hand on her back, gently rubbing in small circles to help ease her tension.

Ron, who was sitting across from them, noticed Alexia's fatigue and the unkind whispers from nearby Gryffindors. With a determined expression, he spoke up in her defence, his voice cutting through the murmurs like a beacon of solidarity. "Oi, lay off, will ya?" he said loudly, his tone firm. "Alexia's one of us, and she's not to blame for what her family did."

The students who had been gossiping fell silent under Ron's stern gaze, their eyes flitting away guiltily as they returned to their meals. Ron's unwavering support brought a faint smile to Alexia's lips, grateful for his loyalty and friendship in the face of adversity.

Hermione glanced at Ron with a proud smile, acknowledging his show of solidarity for their friend. "Thanks, Ron," she said warmly, her voice filled with gratitude. "It means a lot to Alex, and to me."

Alexia raised her head slightly, offering Ron a tired but appreciative nod. "Yeah, thanks, Ron," she murmured, her voice soft with emotion. "It's been a rough morning."

Ron grinned back at them, a hint of mischief twinkling in his eyes. "Don't worry, Lex," he said with a playful wink. "We'll get through this together, just like always."

As the morning mail arrived, an owl landed gracefully on Alexia's head, causing her to giggle along with her friends. Hermione reached for her copy of the Daily Prophet and began to read, her brow furrowing in concern as she absorbed the news.

"Listen to this," Hermione said, her voice tinged with disbelief. "Professor Umbridge has been appointed as the High Inquisitor of Hogwarts by the Ministry."

Alexia's laughter subsided, replaced by a look of incredulity. "High Inquisitor?" she echoed, her tone laced with scepticism. "What on earth does that even mean?"

Hermione sighed, her expression troubled. "It means that Umbridge now has even more authority over the school," she explained, her voice tinged with frustration. "She'll be overseeing all educational standards and have the power to evaluate teachers and their methods."

Ron groaned audibly, his displeasure evident. "Just what we need," he muttered sarcastically. "More Umbridge poking her nose where it doesn't belong."

Harry nodded in agreement, his jaw clenched in frustration. "It's going to make things even worse around here," he remarked grimly. "We'll have to be even more careful about what we say and do."
Harry's giggle caught the attention of the group, prompting curious glances from his friends.

"What's so funny, Harry?" Hermione inquired, her brow furrowing in confusion.

Harry grinned mischievously, a hint of amusement dancing in his eyes. "Just imagine," he began, his voice laced with suppressed laughter, "Umbridge evaluating Snape."

Ron snorted at the thought, unable to contain his amusement. "That would be a sight to see," he remarked, a grin spreading across his face. "Wonder how he'd manage to put up with her."

Alexia chuckled softly, imagining the scene playing out in her mind. "I don't envy Snape one bit," she commented, a smirk playing at the corners of her lips. "Umbridge and Snape, that's a clash I'd pay to witness."
With laughter still lingering in the air, the four friends resumed their breakfast, their spirits buoyed by the shared moment of lightness in the growing tension at Hogwarts.