Chapter #4

Upstairs in the dimly lit room, Fred, George, and Alexia huddled together, their heads bent over the intricate workings of the extendable ear. The device lay on the table before them, a tangle of wires and magical components that seemed to defy understanding.

"I think if we just tweak this knob here," Fred muttered, his brow furrowed in concentration as he carefully adjusted a small dial.

George nodded in agreement, his fingers deftly manipulating the wires with practised skill. "And maybe if we amplify the magical resonance frequency..."

"We also need to change the spell, is not working out.", Alexia mumbles as the twins nod in agreement.

Their voices trailed off as they continued to tinker with the device, their determination evident in the set of their jaws and the intensity of their expressions.

Meanwhile, down in the kitchen, the Order of the Phoenix gathered around the table, their voices low and serious as they discussed the latest developments in their fight against Voldemort. The atmosphere was tense with anticipation, each member acutely aware of the gravity of the situation.

But amidst the sombre mood, a sense of curiosity lingered in the air, especially for the younger members of the group. Hermione, Ginny, and Ron peered out from Ron's bedroom door, their eyes fixed on the trio in the room in front as they worked feverishly on the extendable ear.

"Heading into forbidden territory, are they?" Ron quipped, a smirk playing on his lips as he watched Fred, George, and Alexia with amusement.

Ginny giggled softly, her eyes alight with mischief. "Typical of them," she remarked, her tone fond. "Always pushing the boundaries."

Hermione glanced between her friends and the trio, a mixture of curiosity and apprehension flickering in her eyes. "Do you think they'll manage to make it work?" she wondered aloud, her voice tinged with uncertainty. "I've been telling Alex to quit it, if the adults don't want us to know, they'll have a reason."

But before anyone could respond, a sudden crackling sound filled the air, followed by a triumphant shout. The extendable ear had come to life, its magical tendrils reaching out to eavesdrop on the conversation below.

At that moment, surrounded by the buzz of excitement and the thrill of discovery, Fred, George, and Alexia couldn't help but feel a rush of exhilaration coursing through their veins.

As the extendable ear snaked its way down towards the kitchen, Fred, George, Alexia, Hermione, Ginny, and Ron watched with bated breath, their hearts pounding with excitement and anticipation. With each inch it descended, the voices of Dumbledore, Remus, Sirius, Isadora, and Tonks grew clearer, their words floating up to the eager listeners with tantalizing clarity.

"Did you hear that?" Hermione whispered, her eyes wide with amazement as she strained to catch every word.

Ginny nodded eagerly, her hand clasped tightly around Ron's arm as they watched in awe. "I can't believe it's actually working!" she exclaimed, her voice filled with wonder.

Ron grinned, his eyes sparkling with excitement. "This is brilliant!" he declared, his voice tinged with awe.

Meanwhile, upstairs, Fred, George, and Alexia exchanged triumphant grins, their excitement palpable as they marvelled at their creation. The extendable ear had surpassed their wildest expectations, granting them access to a world of secrets and intrigue.

As the voices from the kitchen grew louder and clearer, the group listened intently, hanging on every word spoken by the members of the Order of the Phoenix. It was a rare glimpse into the inner workings of the secret organization, and they were determined to make the most of it.