ℭ𝔥𝔞𝔭𝔱𝔢𝔯 61

Yara slowly drifted back to consciousness, the gentle symphony of beeping machines filled the air around her, their rhythmic melodies a comforting reassurance in the sterile hospital room. With each soft beep, she felt the tendrils of awareness begin to weave their way through the haze of sleep, pulling her gently from the depths of unconsciousness.

But as she slowly emerged from the fog of sleep, a wave of pain washed over her, crashing against her senses with relentless force. It started as a dull ache, pulsing steadily at the base of her skull, before spreading like tendrils of fire throughout her body. Every breath she took felt like a struggle, the weight of her injuries pressing down on her with suffocating intensity.

But it was the pain in her neck that was the most excruciating of all, a searing agony that radiated from the point of impact, throbbing relentlessly with every movement she made. She could feel the heaviness in her windpipe, the damage wrought by the brutal assault she had endured, a constant reminder of the violence that had brought her here.

Despite the overwhelming pain, she forced herself to open her eyes, to take in the sight of the room around her. The crisp white walls blurred in her vision, the soft glow of sunlight filtering through the curtains casting a hazy glow over everything. The faces of her loved ones swam into focus, their expressions a blur of concern and relief as they gathered around her bed.

With a trembling breath, she tried to speak, but the words caught in her throat, choked off by the pain that gripped her with unyielding ferocity. She closed her eyes once more, her body trembling with the effort to hold onto consciousness, to cling to the fragile thread of hope that whispered of healing and recovery.

As she tried to reach out to her neck, a jolt of realization shot through her as she glimpsed her hand – a labyrinth of wires and tubes snaking their way beneath her skin. Panic threatened to engulf her as she comprehended the extent of her injuries, the wires a stark reminder of the fragility of her own body.

Her heart pounded in her chest as she forced herself to focus, to take in the sight of the air supply tube nestled in her mouth, its presence a lifeline in the wake of her damaged windpipe. With each shallow breath she took, she felt the cool rush of oxygen filling her lungs, a small mercy in the face of overwhelming pain.

But even breathing felt like a battle, each inhalation a struggle against the weight of her injuries. She longed to sigh, to release the pent-up tension that coiled like a serpent within her chest, but even that simple act was denied to her by the relentless agony that gripped her with unyielding ferocity.

The door to her room swung open with a forceful slam, Yara's gaze snapped towards the commotion, her eyes widening as she beheld the sight of the boys hurrying towards her. A mental sweatdrop formed as she observed their frantic movements, a mix of concern and urgency etched across their faces.

Leading the charge, Minu reached her side first, his expression a blend of worry and hurt. With gentle care, he reached out to clasp her hand, his eyes searching hers for any sign of distress. Meanwhile, Dom and June darted out to summon a doctor, leaving Vinny and Jay to flank Minu, their faces mirroring his concern.

"Are you alright? Can you breathe properly?" Minu's voice was filled with genuine concern as he scrutinized her condition. Yara nodded slowly, but a wince betrayed the pain she felt when attempting to move her neck.

"Easy now, don't push yourself. Your neck took a severe hit. Just stay still until the doctor arrives," Minu urged gently, his touch comforting as he lightly tapped her hand. Yara met his gaze, her mind reeling with confusion at the turn of events. She had never anticipated this vengeful retaliation, and silently shook her head, grappling with the whirlwind of emotions swirling within her.

The door fom the room flung open once again as two nurses and one doctor entered the room, the three who were sitting around Yara slowly backed away so the doctor could take a proper look at the pale girl.

"Good morning," the doctor greeted her, his voice calm and reassuring. "I'm Dr. Bong. How are you feeling today?"

The pale girl managed a weak nod, her throat constricted by the tube that provided her with precious oxygen.

"I know it's difficult, but I need you to try to refrain from talking," Dr. Bong continued, his tone gentle yet firm. "Your windpipe has been damaged, and it's important that we give it time to heal properly. You're in good hands here, and we'll do everything we can to help you through this."

The nurses bustled about the room, checking the monitors and adjusting the IV lines with practiced efficiency. The pale girl watched them with bleary eyes.

"As for your wounds," Dr. Bong continued, turning his attention back to her, "they're quite serious, but nothing we can't handle. It will take some time for them to heal – at least one to three weeks, possibly longer depending on how your body responds to treatment."

The room fell into a heavy silence as the doctor and nurses departed, leaving Yara and the boys to grapple with the weight of uncertainty. Unable to vocalize her thoughts due to the doctor's warning, Yara reached out and clasped the hands of Minu and Jay, her silent gesture speaking volumes. With a small smile concealed behind her mask, she gently shook their hands, a subtle reassurance that things would be alright. The tension in the room seemed to ease as the boys exhaled heavily, as if they had been holding their breath since the ordeal began.

However, any semblance of peace was shattered when Dom suggested that they race without Yara, prompting a vehement rejection from the pale girl. Despite the pain shooting through her neck, Yara remained resolute. Her determination was met with concern and disapproval from the boys, each expressing their worry for her well-being and urging her to prioritize her recovery.

"WH-! But you can't ride like that!" Minu immediately butted in, concern evident in his voice. Yara still shook her head, fully aware of the importance of the upcoming race.

"No, you're staying here to recover." Vinny declared, frowning at Yara in disapproval.

"Vinny's right, you're in no shape to race, look at your form, you're barely breathing with the help of a machine," June added beside Dom.

Yara sighed mentally before slowly gathering strength and attempting to lift her upper body. The boys were taken aback by her sudden movement, with Vinny being the first to intervene, grabbing her shoulders and gently forcing her back onto the bed.

"Don't move yet, idiot," Vinny's voice was firm as he released her shoulders. Despite the boys' insistence, Yara continued to express her disagreement, resorting to signing to convey her thoughts.

"Oh yeah, about those bastards who ganged up on you, they're all in prison now. I told my father's men to deal with them inside so you can rest freely," Dom interjected, his voice heavy with unresolved anger.

Despite their arguments, Yara ultimately conceded, her defeat marked by a weary sigh. The boys smiled in victory, a rare achievement in their ongoing battles with the pale girl. As Yara facepalmed mentally, she silently surrendered to the futile nature of their argument, resigned to the fact that, for now, rest was her only option.

~~

The boys huddled together, their stomachs growling in unison, only to realize that their wallets were as empty as their stomachs. Yara watched their dilemma unfold, she knew just how to remedy their situation. With a subtle nod towards the table beside her bed, she directed their attention to a card nestled among the assorted items.

Intrigued, the boys approached the table, curiosity etched on their faces. As they retrieved the card, their expressions softened into ones of gratitude. "Thanks, Yara," Minu said with a warm smile, his voice echoing the sentiments of the group.

Once the others had filed out of the room, leaving Yara and Vinny alone, a sense of unease settled over them. Vinny, ever perceptive, settled into the chair beside Yara's bed, his gaze flickering with concern as he regarded her. "Hey," he began, his voice a gentle murmur that hung in the air like a delicate thread.

.

.

.

𝔗𝔬 𝔅𝔢 ℭ𝔬𝔫𝔱𝔦𝔫𝔲𝔢𝔡