Chapter 36

Ryujin

They arrived at the meeting place just in time and the couple could already see some of their friends laid out in their usual spot – picnic baskets surrounding them. A couple more groups were settled at a far distance, probably also enjoying the perfect weather for a picnic that weekend.

Ryujin halted and stopped Yeji before coming out.

"Jagi. I have something to tell you before we meet them."

"Hmm?"

"I couldn't help myself and texted the group chat last night. I told them that we made it official. Lia probably already told Yung and Chaeryeong, too."

There was a pause – Yeji seemed to be expecting more.

"And...?"

"A-and, that's it. I just thought I'd let you know and maybe say sorry that I didn't consult you first."

Yeji seemed taken aback but smiled a few seconds after.

"Jagi, it's alright. Thank you for telling them. But I'm sure they already saw it coming – way before us."

Yeji reached out for her hand.

"I'm just happy. That we got here."

Ryujin felt her chest aching with happiness. She squeezed Yeji's hand tighter.

"Thank you, Jagiya."

They walked hand in hand towards their friends and received cheers and hoots; playful remarks and even genuine hugs – telling them that they're all happy to see them together.

They proceeded with the afternoon as usual.

Lia, Yuna and Yeji laying out the food from the baskets, Minjeong and Minju preparing drinks with Ryujin's help; and Chaeryeong spacing out in the corner while watching her friends.

Ryujin would steal glances at Yeji, despite the distance between them being only a few meters. She would catch the feline eye staring at her back – sporting a soft smile that she will never get tired of seeing. An automatic smile will appear on her own lips, too.

She looked across all her friends who are enjoying and being their youthful selves.

Sighing, she silently thanked the heavens.

Sure, there are a lot more things to fix with her family; so much more lessons and classes to pass; challenges and bad days to go through. But good days like this wipe them all away.

She closed her eyes and savored the feeling of the sun striking on her skin, the cool wind and the laughter echoing from the people around her.

She felt a light tap on her shoulder and looked sideways.

"Jagi."

She smiled and leaned her head so that their heads were touching.

She sighed for the nth time.

"I am most grateful for you."

She whispered – soft enough for only Yeji to hear.

"Saranghae, Yeddeong."

"Saranghae."