Chapter 31

Yeji

She didn't expect everything to go this smooth.

And slow.

While she took her time in opening up and trusting Ryujin again, she honestly didn't feel even an inch of impatience or force from the brunette. She appreciated how the other girl understood her pace and threaded by it without question.

And so the progress skyrocketed as they continued to hang out.

The only thing was – Yeji has been growing wary with how slow they've been going even after months of hanging out as best friends (or almost lovers, as Yeji regarded it).

"You're practically a married couple. I don't get how you're still not actually dating."

Chaeryeong remarked one morning when she came for an unannounced visit and caught Yeji putting away freshly-bought vegetables – of which she will use to cook packed lunches for herself and a certain brunette.

She gets similar remarks from Yuna during lunch periods – whenever they spot the brunette walking towards them, always grinning from ear to ear, and solely focused on Yeji.

Despite that, Ryujin seemed to not get the cue.

So Yeji was convinced that the brunette either has no idea about the chances that are being laid out to her, or that she has grown away from the feelings that she used to have. And that all these gestures are only done out of courtesy.

She puts her bet on the earlier – because there's no way that these efforts, time, and attention are done only because she wanted to make up for the hurt that she previously caused.

She would catch Ryujin looking affectionately at her – at random times, and everywhere.

While waiting at the staircase in front of Yeji's building, she would sometimes catch the brunette looking at photos that they took days before. And would pretend that she didn't. She would ignore the girl's sudden blushed cheek and would deliberately reach out for her arms as they walked – making her face even redder.

She would pause before entering her room and would steal sneaky glances at her company – all settled in her spot at the couch and fully-concentrated on the rubik's cube in her hands.

She has held herself back more times than she could count – in every walkway, and corners, and excitements, and wins. She tried her hardest not to reach out for her hand, or not to tackle her into a hug. And she could feel that Ryujin was holding back, too.

She would internally laugh at how she could feel the slight amount of jealousy whenever someone else sits at their library table, when someone calls out to her and asks for help, when someone new sends her social media requests.

All of these fueled her to give a small push.

And so when Ryujin acted all weird when Soyeon was asking for help in the library, she grabbed the opening and went off.

"Why don't you do something about it, then?"

That afternoon on the walk back to the dorm, Ryujin was all jumpy and anxious.

"Are you sure you're okay?"

Yeji asked for the 3rd time. And like the last two times, Ryujin forced out a smile and nodded.

When they reached the door, the brunette finally spoke up.

"I-I will do something about it."

For the first time that afternoon, she met Yeji's gaze.

Yeji looked at her quizzically.

"I have been wanting to ask you out for months. O-on a real date."

"Hmm." Yeji playfully hummed.

"But I wanted to make sure that you're okay with it first. I didn't want to misread anything, or worse, scare you away. Again."

Yeji hummed for the second time.

"Ask, then."

She moved a little closer and waited. She could hear the other girl's heavy breaths with how close they're standing.

She didn't give any signs of moving away. Not until Ryujin finally spoke up.

"O-okay."

Pause.

"Yeji-ah... Will you go out on a date with me? I have a reservation at the aquarium in Songpa-gu in a week."

Yeji's eyes lit up with recognition. She slowly moved away and feigned a thinking gesture.

"Or i-if you have other places that you'd like to visit, that would be-"

"An aquarium date sounds good." She cut Ryujin off.

"I thought you'd never ask."

She winked and walked inside – leaving no time for the brunette to process everything.

When she let out the breath that she's been holding, she heard a small squeal on the other side of the door.

She peeked through the window and saw a skipping Ryujin while she was walking away from the unit – smiling so big her jaw must've hurt from it.

Yeji couldn't help the bubbling chuckle that came out upon seeing the scene.

"Could she be any cuter?"

She whispered to herself as she put the window blinds back and walked towards her bedroom.