Chapter 20

Yeji

Ryujin didn't show up at school for the whole week after their talk.

Yeji knows because on the 5th day of trying to avoid her and keep her distance, she blatantly gave up and visited their building. She crossed paths with Lia, and was told that the brunette has been sick for several days.

She couldn't bear the image of Ryujin being alone in her apartment, refusing any kind of help, because she's hard headed like that.

Ultimately, she decided to visit her after class.

She has never walked this slow in her life – but when she reached the street of Ryujin's apartment, she felt a sudden heaviness that she couldn't quite shake off.

Am I going too far?

Two steps.

Will she even let me in?

Three.

Five.

Seven.

Sighing, she shook her head lightly and pressed the buzzer.

There was a pause before she heard an unfamiliar voice.

"Annyeong. Who's this?"

Yeji paused, not recognizing the voice from any of Ryujin's friends.

"Hello?" The person on the other line spoke again.

"Hi. Is Ryujin there?"

"Ah, yes. She's currently sleeping. Are you the classmate that's supposed to bring her notes today? I can come and pick them up downstairs."

"Ah n-no. I'm one of her friends, I just want to check her in quickly as I heard that she was sick."

The other girl paused before responding.

"A friend? What's your name?"

"Y-yeji."

She couldn't control the shakiness of her voice as she slowly started to figure out what was happening.

"Yeji... hmmm. Well, I'll tell her you stopped by when she wakes up. Unless you have anything else to relay to her?"

It might just be her, but she detected a slight challenge in the other girl's tone.

"N-nothing else. I was in the neighborhood and thought I'd swing by."

May I know who this is though?

She wanted to ask but went against her impulse. Instead, she waited until the girl ended the com.

She paused for a couple of minutes before walking away – the bag of fruits and medicine still in her hand.

Yeji was definitely not in the mood for the next couple of days, and her friends had started to notice.