Chapter 17

Ryujin

The morning after their date, Ryujin found herself waking up earlier than usual. She started the day feeling perky, and even had the energy to make herself a breakfast sandwich.

She drove herself to her favorite coffee shop and was about to get Yeji her fix when she remembered the small coffee shop near uni – the one where she saw Yeji at, hanging out with the barista and all.

She took a quick turn and decided to fuel her curiosity.

When Ryujin got to the cafe, the same barista was manning the counter. The latter looked up and smiled upon hearing the door chime.

"Good morning! It's quite cold today. What can I get you?"

Charmer, she thought. How can people feel this chippy at this hour in the morning? And probably everyday, too.

"Ah, hello." She replied coolly and pretended to look at the menu. Clearly, she didn't plan enough on what to say once she got to the place.

She stared at the menu for a whole minute before hearing the other girl clear her throat.

"If you're having a hard time choosing, I can recommend some. If you could just tell me the taste that you're looking for."

Still, a soft smile was on her face.

Ryujin smiled back. She actually seemed really nice.

"I'll get a large matcha fusion, please. And the other one... let me think."

She turned to the girl and played coy.

"I'm getting a drink for a... friend. And I saw her here one or two times before but I'm not sure if you remember her."

She paused.

"Long hair, cat eyes, and about 5 '5. She often brings books with her - Engineering books."

Recognition lit up the girl's face.

"Oh, Yeji?"

"Y-yeah. She's the one." Ryujin was taken aback but didn't offer any other comments.

"She's been here a few times, yes. Well, she likes a couple of things. But it depends, when she's studying she usually gets the iced americano. A brewed coffee with two sugar if the weather's cold."

Ryujin was a little stunned at the fact that she actually knows what she likes.

"I- I don't think she has exams this week" was all that she was able to say.

"Oh, then a regular cappuccino will do. I'll whip those up for you right away."

The barista turned to walk towards the coffee maker as Ryujin sat at the nearest table, doing some contemplating on how she has known Yeji for quite some time but doesn't even know her coffee order. She has never paid that much attention before.

She quickly opened her notes app and typed in the order – something to remember the next time they hangout in a coffee shop.

After ten minutes, the barista handed her the order. She took a peek at her name tag and saw that her name is Jiwoo.

"Here's your order. Enjoy!"

Ryujin nodded and motioned to stand up when Jiwoo turned around to say a quick remark.

"Oh, and say hi to Yeji for me. If that's okay."