Chapter Thirty- Unexpected

Chapter Thirty-

Moth

"I didn't think you'd want to talk to me ever again. Are you going to sue us or something?" I ask Ezra.

The rest of Eclipse and I are standing in the lobby of the recording studio. He asked me to bring them, but I'm not sure why. He seemed pissed the last time we spoke.

Ezra clears his throat and looks at each of us before zoning in on me again. "No. Listen, what you did was beyond stupid. You act like a child, but although I think your loyalty is going to ruin your career, I can respect it. I also respect you which is why I've done my research stalking the band's website and looking up videos of your gigs online. People keep contacting me because they want to work with you guys. More stations want to play your music and other artists want to collaborate with you. To put it simply, your risk paid off, so I'm offering you a deal. All of you."

He grabs contracts from the desk to hand one to each of us. "Since you're already on thin ice with me, this is my only offer. There are rules you'll have to abide by and I don't want any more of this vigilante shit. My decisions are final. Take those home and read them carefully with your parents. They'll need to sign too if it's what you want."

"Rules like what?" Caspian asks curiously as he flips through the pages.

"You'll practice daily at home and on weekends, you'll practice here unless I get you a gig. I'll hire a manager to take over the website and social media accounts. All gigs will either be booked by me or will require my approval. Caspian, you're going to stop ruining your drums. Gwen is the lead guitarist now because she's better than Moth. Jonis isn't allowed to sit when we rehearse in the studio and definitely not when you're performing. Laila is going to show me every instrument she and her alters can play so that I can decide if she should be stuck on synth all the time, and I'll be at liberty to assign the vocalist to the songs."

It takes a moment for everyone to process his words, but once we do, there are surprisingly few complaints.

"You're not letting me play? I'm the guitarist." I argue, earning myself a glare.

"She was right. I looked back at your videos and your timing is bad. You need to work on it, and playing the other guitar part will help. She's also better than you."

"What do you mean by assigning vocalists?" Gwen asks, tucking the contract into her bag.

"You all write songs and some are pretty good, but there are songs that Moth writes that would be sung better by a female vocalist and songs that you write that would be better if he sang them. There are also a few songs that I think shouldn't have all of you playing. Gwen, you're a good writer, but a lot of your songs sound out of place with drums and two guitars. It may be better to have a wider range when it comes to genre. Unfortunately, that means that some of you can't play every song."

We look around at each other, and it seems like everyone is trying to see what the others think. Despite singing and playing lead, I've never been the leader in our band. I don't feel like I should be the one to make the decision, but right now, they're all looking at me.

Gwen smiles and gestures for me to respond for us. "What do you think, golden boy?"

I turn back to Ezra, seeing him as more than just my mentor. He's my friend, and I feel like he has my best interest in mind. "This is what's best for the band?"

"Yes."

"Then we'll do it. We'll learn anything you want to teach us, we'll practice as much as you want, and we'll accept your final decisions when it comes to our songs. I trust you." I explain, hoping with every part of me that I'm making the right decision.