Chapter Nineteen- Villain

Chapter Nineteen-

Frankie

Julian rarely ever speaks at dinner, so if he talks it's probably because even he can pick up on the awkward tension. I know how he feels about everything. He hides his feelings like his life depends on it, but he and I are closer than some of our other siblings. He opens up to me.

I know he misses Moth, but he understands Sawyer's side too. He doesn't think I should've been talking to our mom, and he was just as scared as everyone else when they thought I was missing. He thought the holding cell situation was stupid, and I agree. I didn't do anything wrong and somehow I still ended up being punished for it. Moth was too. That's why his whole family got ripped to shreds.

Dinners in the Grayson household have been quiet recently. Noel and Candace both moved out. Lottie's time is always split between school and the bakery, so she's usually pretty worn out at this time. Cameron, Carter, and Carson carry most of the dinner conversations now which means we're mostly talking about Fortnite and ice skating.

Will has been studying non-stop for two weeks. He got recruited for the soccer program at Stanford, but in order to get early admission, Will has to finish a whole year's worth of school in one semester and pass the SAT and finals for his classes. To say he's been stressed would be the understatement of the year.

I help him sometimes, but he hardly leaves his room. Even when he does, his break consists of practicing his footwork and scoring outside in the backyard. Theo comes over too, but it's mostly just to make sure he's eating.

Julian is mature, but he's always been quiet which means the only adult conversations would be between Teagan, Sawyer, and I. Frankly, I have nothing to say to them anymore and they're lucky I show my face long enough to eat with them.

"What's going to happen with your dance, Frankie?" Julian asks, feeding his duck the pieces of his food that he doesn't like. He glances over at me but doesn't hold eye contact long before looking back down at his plate.

At this point, I'm desperate to end this awkward silence too. "I fought to get it approved, so I feel like it's my job to go. Bash offered to take me, so I said yes. We're going as friends."

"Sebastian from the student council? That's great, Franks. You two used to be such good friends in middle school. I always wondered what happened." Sawyer comments, his eyes practically begging me to entertain his small talk. He's told me how bad he feels about what he did, but for some reason, he still can't just admit that he was wrong.

He understands how terrible he's made me feel, but somewhere in his twisted brain, he still thinks he was doing the right thing. It's bull. He needs to understand that it goes beyond just hurting me. He ruined Moth's relationship with his family.

Thanks to Sawyer, Moth and Fizzle don't talk as much anymore, Moth's mom got sent to a rehabilitation center, and now he's stuck with his dad. Only god knows what's happening with him right now because I know he's holding something back when we talk. He tells me everything is great but I know he's lying. I am too.

"Bash got popular, and I'm still a loser. It's not neuroscience." I grumble, being sure not to say "rocket science" to avoid a long rant from Julian about how rocket science is easy and the phrase should be neuroscience instead.

Sawyer ignores my sour tone and offers something else. "Well, what are you going to wear? I could help you style your hair."

The thought appeals to me. I used to love when Sawyer would do my hair. He'd always brush it for me and style it how he liked, and that was the time we'd get to talk with just the two of us. He'd sit on the couch and I'd be on the floor tilting my head back to look at him no matter how many times he nagged me for it. I've thought of prom and homecoming before. I've thought about how Sawyer would take me to pick out my outfit and help me figure out what to do with my hair. He's had long hair forever so he'd know better than me.