Chapter Twenty Two- Payback

Chapter Twenty Two-

Moth

"I'm not trying to get you in trouble with him. He's just an ass." Ginny whispers to me as we 'silently read' in our English class. Speaking of which, it's fancy books like Pride and Prejudice that make me miss reading Into the Wild at my shitty New York public school. I wonder if Frankie still has the copy from my bookshelf that I always saw him reading when I'd wake up from naps.

"I told you it's fine. He doesn't scare me. I mean come on, the kid's name is Tobias and he looks like a show poodle." I comment, making her snicker and the teacher shush us. I lower my voice before continuing. "Though I'm not sure why you're dating someone like that when you're clearly out of his league."

She sighs and shrugs. "Most of the kids who go here are rich. They're not exactly friendly to people here on scholarships. Dating Toby keeps me from being a target. Honestly, he's not as bad as he seems. He's just a little insecure and the attention he gets from his friends is the only attention he gets from anyone. He wants to keep them entertained and they like beating people up."

"I'm going to kick his ass today," I inform her, watching the clock. I need my revenge somehow and it's been long enough to take him by surprise.

"Don't break his face too much. I like being able to look at something pretty when he takes me on dates."

"No promises."

We sit silently until the bell rings. I practically sprint out of the room when I hear it and make my way to the boys' locker room. There's no gym class this period, and it also happens to be the only time Tobias walks by without his little lackeys. I want it to be a fair fight.

I wait a few minutes, watching kids scramble past to get to their classes. As the rush dies down, I peek my head out slightly, seeing Tobias walk closer. Once he's near enough for me to pull him into the room, I do, taking the lacrosse stick from his bag as I shut the door.

He stumbles into the room, falling onto his knees with me between him and the door. He whips his head around to glare at me before getting back to his feet. He looks at the lacrosse stick in my hand and shifts nervously before dropping his bag on the ground. "Is this supposed to be payback or something?"

"No. If I wanted payback I would've got two more guys to help beat you with lacrosse sticks." I explain, pointing the end of the stick at him with a smirk on my lips.

It's a bit worrisome how sick of a thrill I get when guys like him look at me like that. It's the same feeling that got me into so many fights with Mason and his friends. I don't pick fights for no reason, but I can admit that I let things escalate quickly because part of me enjoys the violence.

I know Andrew's talked about it before and mentioned that it's why he and Fizzle have the relationship dynamic they do. Since Fizzle is an adult and can make his own decisions, I don't comment on it, but their relationship is enough to make me worry about mine.

I've seen the same fear in Frankie's eyes before. I've seen it when he looks at Mason's friends and even when he looked at me the one time he saw me get into a fight with one of the football players. I could never imagine hurting Frankie the way I want to hurt the people who deserve it.

People like Tobias who's now looking at me like I'm his worst nightmare. I love the fear in his eyes, and how warranted it is. He should be scared of me. I step closer, my smirk growing wider when he steps back. "Not so tough now, are you? Well, Unlike you, I believe in being fair."

I toss the stick aside and take my jacket off, rolling up the sleeves of my button-up. He copies my action and glares at me. "You're pathetic. What's to stop me from telling my dad you're a thug who goes around jumping people?"