Chapter Thirteen

"Damn, you're strong" Celina whistles, as Sadie deadlifts 140 pounds.

"Anger is an excellent motivator" Sadie grunts as she puts the weight back down.

"Are you still angry?" Celina asks.

"I'm angry at myself" Sadie responds, before picking up the weight again.

"I'm angry at Lucy" Sadie continues, her freckled skin shines with a thin layer of sweat.

"I'm angry at Tim" Sadie states.

"And I'm angry that this happened at all, two months before our wedding" Sadie finishes before putting the weight back down.

"Sadie! Whatcha doing here?" Nyla asks, walking over with Angela.

"Working out" Sadie answers. "I just want to thank you again for all the support-"

"If I hear one more word out of your mouth, I'm not paying for the first round." Angela threatens.

"First round of what?" Sadie asks.

"It's shot o'clock, baby" Angela grins. "Now go take a shower, wear your best outfit, we're going clubbing!"

Angela and Harper kneel down and start putting away the weights Sadie was lifting.

"Sadie, is getting drunk right now really the best idea?" Celina questions.

"No, but talking to Angela and Nyla is" Sadie responds, wiping her face with a towel.

"They're going to tell you to take the job" Celina protests.

"I already took the job" Sadie points out.

"And aren't you starting to regret that?" Celina wonders. "You're fighting with your fiancees."

"Fights are normal in relationships" Sadie says.

"This is a pretty big fight, and it can be fixed by you giving up the job" Celina argues.

"I'm not giving up my dream job" Sadie shuts down.

"What's going on? Why would you give up your detective spot?" Angela asks, joining the two girls again.

"I've got some stuff to tell you two" Sadie sighs.

"This bar talk or private talk?" Harper asks, picking up Sadie's gym bag.

"Private" Sadie responds.

"Well let's get going then" Angela grins, grabbing Sadie's arm and pulling her towards the entrance of the gym.

Celina moves to follow but Harper stops her.

"No can do, this is a detectives only thing" Harper shakes her head before running after Angela and Sadie.

[Time Skip]

"What are we doing at a liquor store?" Sadie asks as they get out of Harper's car.

"We're going to buy your favorite tequila" Harper explains as they enter the store.

"You don't have to do that" Sadie protests.

"Ssh, baby girl, we got this covered" Angela says, shushing her as they walk through the aisles.

[Time Skip]

"Here's my card, you go buy it" Harper urges, pushing Sadie to the cash register.

"W-what? Why?" Sadie asks but Harper just pushes her again and soon Sadie is standing in front of the cash register.

"Um, hi, just this please" Sadie requests, handing the person the bottle of tequila.

"ID please?" The person asks.