Chapter Five

[Six Months Later]

"you've lost me" Sadie sighs.

"you're supposed to be my tutor" The kid, Daniel, complains.

"that doesn't mean I'm qualified to be your tutor" Sadie argues, looking down at the piece of paper.

"can't believe Celina dragged me into doing math homework again" Sadie grumbles.

"okay, so i is an imaginary number" Sadie starts. "what makes an imaginary number?"

"how can a number be imaginary, a number is a number, do I have to imagine it to be a number?" Sadie rants.

"that's what I'm saying" Daniel agrees.

Daniel is a sophomore in high school, his mom is friends with Celina's mom and so of course Sadie was roped into tutoring him.

"this is why I'm not a mathematician" Sadie groans. "being a cop can suck sometimes but at least I don't have to imagine numbers exist"

"I forgot you were a cop" Daniel smiles. "are you armed right now?"

"I'm not telling you that" Sadie replies.

"so you are? can I hold it?" Daniel questions, eagerly.

"no and no" Sadie shuts it down very quickly. 

"aw" Daniel groans.

"okay, you know what? let's just google it" Sadie decides, pulling out her phone.

Daniel looks over her shoulder as Sadie starts to type in 'what is i in math' when she gets a text message from an unknown number.

Sadie frowns.

"hold on one second, kid" Sadie says, standing up and moving a little aways before opening the message.

It's a picture of Sadie getting changed and she is very much naked. It looks like it was taken through her window or something. 

Sadie freezes when she sees the photo, brushing her hair out of her face as she stares down at the image.

"what is it? secret cop stuff?" Daniel calls from the couch.

"no, no, it's fine" Sadie responds, putting her phone back in her pocket in favor of pulling out her computer.

"when's your test on this?" Sadie asks after they've watched five youtube videos that have tried and failed to explain i to them.

"tomorrow" Daniel answers.

"okay..." Sadie thinks for a moment before pulling out her phone.

[Time Skip]

"hey, thank you for coming" Sadie smiles, hugging her friend, Lila.

"of course" Lila grins as she steps inside of Daniel's house.

"this is Daniel" Sadie gestures to the sophomore. "Daniel, this is my friend Lila, she's a mathematician so she should be able to help you"

[Time Skip]

Lila manages to successfully and easily explain i to Daniel in under twenty minutes and she soon leaves, once Lila is gone, Daniel turns back to Sadie.

"you're so cool" Daniel exhales.

"I know" Sadie smirks.

[Time Skip]

Tim is now a Sergeant and Lucy is his aide. Sadie graduated from being a rookie literally yesterday and she's been assigned on desk duty since she doesn't have anyone to ride with and Grey doesn't like the idea of her being alone out on patrol for the first time.