Unraveling

Day 35

Sabre's P.O.V.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Sir? Sir, are you okay?" I gasp for air, still disoriented by the dark room. I could have sworn-

The Colorless Guard has one hand poised at his spear, looking around the room for any threat. After a moment, I regain my senses. Heat flushes to my face.

"No, I mean yes! I'm fine. You can go back to your post." The guard looks at me again, slowly relaxing his stance.

"Did something happen?"

"Bad dream." I admit. "That's all." The guard nods, and I hear his metallic footsteps retreat to the floor below, then out the door. I groan. I'm not used to having steves close enough to hear me scream in my sleep. The last time someone else asked about it was Rainbow Steve, back when we shared a house in the second Rainbow Hub. Back then, my nightmares hadn't been so frequent.

Tonight's dream, however, had been different. Instead of watching Rainbow or another friend die, I was being watched by a steve-like monster. It had creeped me out in a way I can't explain. I shake my head, trying to rid my thoughts of the lingering dread. It must be a stress dream.

I glance at the alarm clock by my bed. It's too early to be up, but I don't want to call another guard up here with my shouting, so I get ready anyway. I dress in a rush, grabbing all the things I need. If M returns, I'll be there waiting for him. Then, I can finally build the machine to help Green. The thought brings a smile to my face, helping to ease my worries. With that problem dealt with, it can't be long before everything is under control again.

"Sir, you're up quite early." One of the guards notes as I step out of my door. All the other guards snap to attention, looking at me.

"Should we send him back to bed?" I hear one whisper. "You know what the Captain said about sleeping schedules."

"We can let it slide, just this once." It's the guard who rushed up earlier. He sends me a look, although I can't see his expression with the helmet on. "Sometimes it's nice to think early in the morning. Very relaxing."  I feel a slight thrill. He's helping me out! Even Light's increased security won't stop me today.

"I'm just going to the abandoned library." I assure them. "I'll stay within sight of the gates."

That's how, a few minutes later, I find myself in a dilapidated building in the dark hours of the morning, determined to wait for M. I'm sure he won't show up right away, but I don't mind. I feel better knowing I'm here just in case. And in the meantime...

For once, I don't feel bad letting my eyes close again. At least out here, nobody is going to be bothered by my nightmares. M will know to wake me up if his teleportation lightning doesn't do the trick. I can finally get some rest.

But by the time my eyes open again, sunlight is already streaming through the broken patches of the building, and M is nowhere in sight. I frown, stretching out and peeking my head out of the building. Overhead, the sun is almost at a noon position. Strange. I really thought M would come today. I guess I could just wait.

...Nope. Not waiting.

My anxiety seems to have risen with the sun, because I'm not prepared to wait until sunset anymore.  Instead, I brush myself off and make my way to the Rainbow Kingdom.  It's time for plan B.

I didn't even know I had a plan B until it came to me, but as I nod to the guards at the gate, my feet quickly carry me to the Yellow Sector.  Then, I stop.