The Return

Day 22

Sabre's P.O.V.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"What do you mean lockdown? How did that stupid robot put us on lockdown! Come on, come on! Why isn't the code working?"

I grumble in my sleep, my brain stalling as it tries to fit the frantic whispering into my dream. I try shifting to a more comfortable position.

That's when my entire body realizes that it's been sleeping on a concrete floor.

Aches shoot up my limbs, and I wince, grabbing at my legs, which have pins and needles running through them. My head slips off of Green's mattress, and I wake with a start.

The room is dark. Being fifty blocks underground, there isn't even moonlight here. The only reason I can see is that Green acts as something of a living nightlight, making the room look like I'm wearing night vision goggles.

Soft breathing fills the room, accompanied by the whir of machines in other parts of the lab. It's soothing, and I feel my eyelids start to droop closed again. That's when I see a tiny shoot of green.

My stiff fingers close around the plant, and I turn, staring at the frail leaves. When did this get here? I follow the stem up to the side of the bed.

Green grew a vine.

Excitement shoots through me, and I prop myself up on my knees, gently shaking the sleeping steve's shoulders.

"Green, are you awake?" I ask in a whisper, waiting for his eyes to open.

Nothing happens. He remains limp, eyes closed, face pale.

So he didn't wake up. I feel my heart drop. Steves don't usually use their powers in their sleep, not unless the powers are new, or were recently boosted. And only one thing could have made Green's powers stronger.

The sickness is getting worse.

Emotions battle within me. It's scary to think his time is running out, and so much worse to see the effects in person. The only bright side is that he can't hurt the other steves if he remains asleep. Maybe he doesn't even feel the fever that is burning across his skin.

A loud metal clang reverberates around the room, breaking me from my thoughts and making me jump. I land quite painfully on my knees.

The Red Steves are also up in an instant, looking scared. Scarlet light overtakes the room as the Red Leader prepares a fireball.

"Apologies, Professor!" A familiar voice drones. I clutch my chest as the rapid pulse begins to slow. Professor Red rubs at his eyes, frowning.

"Assistant Steve, I told you not to roll down the stairs! You'll get dented!" he groans.

"It's faster!" insists the robot as he wheels into view. I do notice a slight dent on one of his arms. I feel suddenly relieved that he didn't fall while carrying me down the stairs.

"So you fixed the core?" I ask groggily. "That's great. Professor Red thought it would take all night." The scientist winces, while the robot rolls his mechanical eyes.

"Moron, it took me two nights." He corrects scathingly. "You've been sleeping like the dead."

A fresh wave of panic jolts through me.

"Wait, WHAT?"

The vine forgotten, I scramble to my feet, ignoring the soreness in my legs. I rush toward the door.