Studies and Speeches

Day 5

Sabre's P.O.V.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Evening is falling on the Rainbow Kingdom by the time I return. If the Colorless Guards find it strange that I've been cooped up in library ruins all day, they don't show it. Of course, they're probably a different shift by now.

Instead of heading home, I turn toward the Green Sector. I look around curiously as the scenery changes, more plants and flowers decorating the area. Several Green Steves I don't recognize pause to look as I pass.

The Rainbow Kingdom has seven official sectors bordering its edges, arranged by the colors of the Rainbow. The closer to the citadel you are, the more the sections break down, until you see steves of all colors mingling comfortably. Since I'm not exactly a steve, I live only a few buildings away from the citadel. I don't typically visit the outer sectors, so I don't know my way to the bookstore yet. It can't be that hard... right?

Finally, I spot it. At least, I don't know what other building would have a book on its sign. Roses bloom along the window boxes, and I'm reminded strongly of the Red Kingdom. I shudder a little at the thought of the sickness, but push it out of my mind.

The door opens with a chime, and the rose scent is overpowered by herbs and old books. M would love it here. The warm glow of lanterns illuminates the tiny shop, which is made up of several tall bookshelves, a few worn chairs, and a wooden counter where a Green Steve stays, waiting.

"Anything I can help you with?" he asks pleasantly. His eyes gleam with interest. I guess he doesn't get many visitors who aren't Green Steves. "There are mostly healing books, but we have others you might like." I shake my head.

"Actually, it's the healing books I'm interested in." I look along the top row of a bookcase, finger hovering just over the titles as I scan them. "Basic Anatomy and Healing" catches my eye, and I slip it off the shelf, fumbling in my bag for some iron.

The Green Steve reads the title as he counts out a handful of nuggets.

"Steve anatomy?" he muses.

"Not my best subject." I smile a little as I receive my change, cradling the textbook as I leave. Unfortunately, what I said is true. Despite several years of fighting for steves, I still have no idea how they function. There was never time for someone to teach me, and I always felt too awkward to bring it up in conversation.

I wish there were books like this one back in the Steve Saga Realm. Maybe, a long time ago, the Blue Steves had libraries. But every building except a few temples was destroyed by the time I got there, and the Great Library had been burned down already, incinerating all the knowledge that world had.

I rifle through the pages, glancing at page upon page of neat type. I haven't sat down to read in such a long time. Since before I ever got involved with the steves.

I drop the book into my inventory, breaking off the sad thoughts. Instead, I think back on the sickness. The illusion seemed to have done well against it, but there is no way I can harness Illusion Steve's powers. No steve in this world is even remotely like him. However, there must be some reason the illusion worked when nothing else has.

I'm broken out of my thoughts as I almost run into an old friend.

"Hey, Sabre!" Out of his white armor, LC still has the stiff posture of a Colorless Guard Elite. He wears the familiar leather chestplate, and the same easy smile. I realize I haven't seen him much since I came to live at the Rainbow Kingdom. Not out of his armor, at least. "You're not usually out this late, or in this area. What's up?"