We'll Deal with it Later

Day 33

Sabre's P.O.V.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"M?  Why are you in the lab?"  M looks startled at the question, like it's confusing.

"I was worried about you."  he repeats.  "You've been gone for so long, I wasn't sure what happened.  You could have been killed, and we wouldn't know!"  As he talks, his voice rises in pitch, tiny tendrils of smoke rising from his palms before he shakes out his hands.  "Sorry, it's just-"

"Wait."  I interrupt, holding up my hands.  "What do you mean 'I've been gone for so long'?"

"I thought you were only going to be gone for the day!"  M huffs.  "I would've packed more stuff for you if I knew."

"I have only been gone for the day."

"Of course you haven't, moron."  Assistant Steve rolls his eyes.  "You've been missing for five days."

My blood runs cold.

"I've... what?"

"Didn't you know?"  M asks, "That's why Assistant Steve let me down here.  I had to take a different tunnel and avoid the lab at all costs, but you were freaking me out.  If you disappeared, it would be bad for everyone."

"Because of the sickness."  I finish.  "Yeah."  Five days.  The sickness has been progressing for five days.  "Wait, I need to see Green!"  I hurry to my feet, ignoring the twinge of my leg.  "He's still- He's still alive, right?  He hasn't disappeared?"  Even now, I have no idea how long a steve is sick before he disappears.  Maybe it's different for everyone.

"Certainly not.  There are a lot more vines, though."  the robot grumbles.

"Are you sure you should go in there right now?"  M questions, glancing at the tears in my jeans.  "You're already injured, and according to Assistant Steve... well, the Red Leader's getting quite aggressive."  His expression crumbles a little as he says it.  It must be difficult for him to hear about his leader in such a state.

"I've got to try."  I protest.  "Um, you have machine stuff, right?"  Assistant Steve crosses his arms.

"What do you think?"

"Right, well bring me what you can, please.  I'm hoping you have a spare room somewhere?"  I turn to my Red Steve friend.  "You might want to get back to the leader's house.  You know how your kingdom gets when you leave.  Plus, I really don't want you getting infected."  M sighs, but nods.

"Don't get more hurt."  he says sternly, causing me to smile.

"I'll try not to, chief."

"Enough, you two.  Your sappiness is disgusting."  Assistant Steve grabs my uninjured arm and begins wheeling toward the quarantine room.  I pry his fingers away, but keep walking after him.  One hand keeps playing with the rainbow stone, and I watch the multicolored particles in fascination.  

"Look who finally came back!"  Assistant Steve announces, presenting me with an exaggerated flourish.  Immediately, the two Red Steves jump to their feet, wearing opposite expressions.

"Ah, you're here!  And it seems you've found the power source you needed."  Professor Red's eyes gleam as they land on the rainbow stone.  "How fascinating... I wish I could do a few experiments on it."

"You sure took your time."  The Red Leader grouches.  "I was starting to think you'd left us to die."  His hand smokes angrily, only increasing as the Professor gives him a sharp jab in the ribs.