Cause for Concern

Day 34

Sabre's P.O.V.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My head is swimming by the time I finally descend the ladder into my bedroom.  I can hear my alarm going off next to my bed, alerting me that I have a meeting soon.  The notebook cradled in my arms has about fifty different redrafts of the same machine idea, finally culminating in a design I think will work.  A vague sense of happiness buzzes through me.  With luck, I'll finally be able to help Green, maybe even cure him.  After reviewing my notes on the sickness, this treatment might be more effective than I first thought.

I stumble over to shut off the alarm, stretching carefully.  Spending all night on the hardwood floor has brought back the now-familiar soreness.  I rub at my eyes and yawn.  Time to- what was I doing again?  Oh right, the meeting.  Collecting notes.  That.  I better get down there before another leader comes over to collect me.  I quickly descend-

-I wave back to the Colorless Guards.  It's still weird to see so many of them in one place.  I wonder if they find it as unnecessary as I do.  Many of the other steves call out a greeting as they spot me.  They seem more enthusiastic than usual, maybe because I've been missing for so long.  Do the steves here really... worry about me?  Not long ago, they were terrified because of my involvement with the darkness.  I guess that stigma is wearing off at last.  The thought makes me smile as I make my way up the citadel stairs.

Then, everything goes black.

Dark red light glows beneath my eyelids.  Something's moving.  I can almost see it.  A feeling of dread washes over me.  I try to move, but-

My body feels like it's weighed down. I open my eyes slowly, and immediately want to close them again. The light above me is way too bright. I can barely force myself to sit up. It felt so good to sleep again...

"Oh, Origin. You're awake." I start up at the Green Leader's voice, my tired body kicking into action. He is wearing an anxious expression that immediately tells me I'm in trouble. I cringe back, waiting for the scolding. As I do so, I notice that the room is unfamiliar. Wasn't I in my house? Wait- no... I was heading for the citadel, to collect the Orange Leader's notes over the last few meetings before we started the next one.

What happened after that?

Green Leader puts a hand on my forehead. I used to think this was just checking for fever, but now I know that this is how the Green Steves here check for all sickness. He must be really worried. But why? I'm immune to the sickness. I should be fine!

"Just exhaustion." He breathes a heavy sigh of both relief and disappointment. "Stay right there, okay? I'm telling the others you're awake." I blink slowly, watching as the leader props a few pillows up behind me, then leaves in a rush. Exhaustion? What did he mean? And why was he so surprised when I- Oh.

I remember now, feeling the embarrassment wash over me. Just as I was climbing the stairs to the Orange Leader's room, I had felt another wave of tiredness hit me. Green Leader had been walking down just as it happened. I remember his eyes going wide as I started to pass out.

Yikes.

From the bruised feeling along my back and arms, I must have hit a few steps after I fell. No wonder he's so worried. But how long have I been out? I scan the room for a clock.

It's been a few hours already. My heart races in panic. Didn't I have something I needed to do? Yes. Of course.  My meeting with M!  He must be worried sick.