Looking for an Answer

Day 26

M's P.O.V.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My eyes scan carefully along the titles, coming to rest on a book labelled An Overview of Steve Energy. Perfect. I carefully pull it out and add it to the stack of books in my arms. A few Red Steves watch me curiously, probably wondering what their apprentice was doing in the library, instead of running the kingdom. I ignore them. This is the only way to get Sabre books from the Red Library.

As I get them checked out, I hear some of the people speaking in hushed voices behind me.

"What do you think he's researching?"

"Probably something the leader wants to know about, silly."

"The Red Leader? Come on, nobody's seen him in weeks!"

"What are you saying?"

"Haven't you heard the rumors?"

I struggle to tune out the conversation, even as the pit of dread returns in my stomach. I pick up the stack again and slip the books into my inventory. I look up at the clock on the wall and check the time. Sabre will be waiting before long. I better head out to a spot nobody will hear me teleporting from. It would only cause more suspicion.

I head out swiftly, winding through the cobbled streets. Steves nod at me as they pass, a little more reverently than usual. I feel hot under my cloak all of a sudden. One steve tentatively stops me.

"Sir?" The title stops me short. "You seem tired. I've heard people wondering... will you get an apprentice soon?" I swallow.

"There's no need." I tell him politely, faking a smile. "I'm already the leader's apprentice. Thank you for the concern, though. I'm sure I'll be fine." He nods slowly, but doesn't move. I can tell there's more on his mind.

"Sir, is the Red Leader really still... never mind." He turns bright red with embarrassment and runs off. I look down and hurry on, trying not to think about it as I come to the garden I always teleport from. I know what he was about to ask.

The rumor around the Red Kingdom is that the Red Leader died.

It makes sense, really. It was only a matter of time. It's been three weeks since he fell ill, and nobody missed the fact that I am taking over his duties. My people are very skeptical. The fact that I am dead tired doesn't help.

I sigh, gathering up my energy before teleporting over to the abandoned library. Sabre isn't here yet.  The last time I came here, he didn't show up at all.  I assume that somebody held him up, but I can't be sure.  We're stuck with one-way contact.  Something might be wrong.

There's no use worrying.  Instead, I bring the textbooks out of my inventory and hug them to my chest, pausing to take a deep breath. It's nice and calm here, no steves asking questions. I like it.

"You alright, M?" I glance up to see Sabre in the entrance. His voice has a slight rasp to it that concerns me.  Even so, I can't help but smile.  

"Just tired." I tell him, something I would never admit to my own people. He grins.

"I can tell, even with the cloak on." He comes further into the building and sits beside me, letting out a long sigh of his own. "Did you find those at the library?" I nod, pushing the stack of books over into his lap. He flips through the titles with slight interest.

"Thanks, M. These are exactly what I need." I smile, and he smiles back. Even with his blindfold on, I can tell he isn't looking well. His face seems a little paler than usual. It must be from the stress.