➝ the gate

——————————————————

unless we find out what's to blamewhat a shame——————————————————

what a shame
——————————————————

sunday, november 4, 1984

🆆ith the demo-dog freshly stored in the fridge, the three boys and Victoria joined the others again. Mike had been walking up and down the length of the living room, worried.

His pacing caused the others in the group to also grow anxious.

"Mike," Lucas sighed, comfortably on the couch. "Would you stop already?"

"You weren't there," Mike said, annoyed. "That lab was swarming with hundreds of those dogs."

"Demo-dogs!" Dustin corrected him.

Ben slapped his shoulder, a way of saying not now.

"Listen, dude," Steve came marching in. All eyes followed him. "A coach calls a play in a game, bottom line, you execute it. All right?"

Mike looked at him dumbfounded. "First of all, this isn't some stupid sports game. And second, we're not even in the game, we're on the bench.

Steve's eyes widened. He stuttered out parts of words before he found his point again. "Yeah, we're on the bench. So–, uh, there's nothing we can do."

"That's not entirely true," Dustin concluded. "These Demo-dogs have a hive mind. When they ran away from the bus, they were called away."

"Don't remind me," Ben sighed, a shiver ran over his spine.

"If we get their attention," Lucas continued. "Maybe we can draw them away from the lab.

"And clear a path to the gate," Mike finished.

"Yeah," Steve laughed, "And then we all die."

"I got it!" Mike said, walking away from the group. The rest followed as he pointed at the drawings that Will had made. "This is where the chief dug his hole. This is our way into the tunnel."

Mike got up again and moved to a different part of the house. "Here, this is like a hub. So you got all the tunnels feeding in here." Victoria tilted her head slightly. In the middle of the floor, Will had drawn a large blue mass where all the tunnels connected into.

"Maybe if we set this on fire," Mike continued.

"What?" Ben asked, surprised.

He wasn't the only one who didn't agree with it. Steve was quick to shut the idea down.

"The mind flayer would call away his army," Dustin continued.

"They'd come to stop us," Lucas said.

"By the time they realise we're gone," Mike said.