➝ pollywog

——————————————————

and if i start a commotion——————————————————

——————————————————

thursday, november 1, 1984

🅼ax was standing next to Victoria's locker.

"Is it really true?" Max asked her. Lucas had spent that morning explaining to her what had happened to Will and why people called him Zombie Boy.

"Yup," Victoria nodded, dragging out the p.

"And about your –," Max softly came to a stop. Victoria looked at her with cold eyes. Eyes that pleaded for her not to say a word.

"Sorry," Max apologised looking at the ground. "Uhmmm, but they really buried him?"

"Yeah," Victoria continued grabbing her stuff as if nothing happened. "A funeral, an assembly. The whole nine yards."

"Wow," Max nodded her head. "Lucas told me we couldn't say anything to Will, though. He's sensitive about it."

"Yeah, wouldn't you be?" Victoria asked her, once they stepped inside Mrs Clarkes classroom.

"Right," Max trailed off.

By the time the girls had sat down Mr Clarke had started his lesson.

"The case of Phineas Gage is one of the greatest medical curiosities of all time." He projected a drawing of a brain. Victoria wasn't going to lie; she was quite intrigued as to where this was going.

"Phineas was a railroad worker in 1848 who had a nightmarish accident." Mr Clarke drew a line straight through the skull. "A large metal iron rod was driven completely through his head. Phineas miraculously survived. He seemed fine."

Ben, who was sitting in the front, slightly looked behind him. At first he saw Max, staring outside of the window. Then his gaze shifted over to Victoria. Her mouth was slightly open, a sight he had learned to link with her paying attention. A small smile formed on his face.

Before he even realised what he was doing, Dustin stormed inside the classroom.

"I'm so sorry, Mr Clarke!" He panted as he nearly fell down in his seat. "Don't mind me. Really, continue, please. Thanks."

Mr Clarke sighed, but nevertheless continued the curious case of Phineas Gage. Immediately, Dustin turned around to his four friends.