Chapter 15: Eva(ngeline)

Some time passed and only a couple of smiling lemons remained in my comfort bowel. The tension grew between me and Vinnie and I placed a lemon wedge in my mouth whilst keeping my eyes on the TV. I felt his warm hand gently wrap around my waist as he pulled me closer to him, I uncrossed my legs to make it easier for me to shift along the velvet couch. My stocking began to slip down my thigh which represented perfectly how I was feeling in that moment.
"Can I have one?" He asked me in his low husky voice,gesturing to my bowl of lemons.
"You could've just asked when I was over there."
"But what if I began to feel lonely so far away from you, hm?"
I grabbed a lemon wedge from the bowl and dabbled it in some left over traces of honey,due to being flustered i pressed the lemon against his lips and slowly felt his mouth open. His breath was warm and his lips were soft. My eyes remained shut through the process of me forcefully putting a lemon in his mouth. I slowly began to open my eyes as I felt the presence of Vinnie's hand near mine.
"There was no need to be so forceful doll" he chuckled whilst holding the lemon wedge in his hand " did the thought of sharing food with me get you excited?" He said as his eyes trailed down to my fallen stocking.
"Were you never taught that staring is rude Vinnie?"
"What did you just say?"
"Staring is rude?"
"No after that."
"Vinnie?" I said it slowly, teasing him purposefully only to see his reaction to me saying his name. I looked up at him and took the lemon from his hand, rubbing it in the honey inside my bowl and placing it between my lips.
Was i flirting correctly? Probably not. But it was fun.
He tightened his hand around my waist as I sat next to him and we made eye contact as I ate the rest of the lemon in my hand.
"Want me to take that for you?" He asks reaching for my bowl of lemon skins.
"No it's okay I got it" I say as I stood up and went into the kitchen to clean my bowl. Vinnie seemed extremely silent as he waited for me in the living room while i washed my bowl in the kitchen: to be completely honest it made me extremely nervous. I walked back into the living room and stood behind where Vinnie was sitting on the couch. I leant over him from behind and watched him lean his head back on the couch.
"I need your help" I say as I shuffle around the side of the couch and point at my fallen stocking.
"I thought you'd never ask doll." I rolled my eyes at his cocky comment but bit my cheek at attempt to withhold my grin. He slowly spread his legs and tapped the couch space between them.
"Come closer and put your leg here for me."  I felt my dress slightly rise from all the movement I was doing but proceeded to move closer to him. He assisted to me and placed a gentle hand around my ankle helping me put it on the couch. He put his fingers around the black lace of my stocking and pulled it onto my thigh. He tapped my leg gesturing for me to put it down. Unhurried, he placed a hand between my legs and moved it further and further up, he squeezed one of my thighs and used it to bring me closer to him. As I stood between his legs like a dove in a golden cage I felt him place his head on my stomach. I looked down to see him leaning comfortably on me. I didn't know whether or not to make a comment or appreciate the moment as it came. I placed my hands on top of his head not knowing what to do with them at first, I ran my fingers through his hair and noticed how smooth it really was. I thought to myself how he could look so scruffy but be so well kept and clean at the same time, I let out a slight laugh at my analogy. His grip tightened between the gap of my upper thighs and moved it slightly higher.
"Don't get too comfortable now" I said to him attempting to regain dominance.
"Too late. I could use a good fucking sleep right about now." He let out a noticeably stressed sigh which caused me to let go of his hair and stand back, his emotional unavailability made me feel uneasy.
"Are you stressed about your parents?" I asked, trying to make him feel more comfortable about expressing his feelings.
"No."
"Jeez I thought I was the stubborn one" I crossed my arms and popped my hip slightly to exaggerate my expression. "You can't get all handsy with me then not tell me what is making you feel stressed. God i feel like throwing up just saying this but are we not like friends now." I place a hand out in front of me blocking Vinnie's face as I tried to make him at least crack a smile.
"I guess if we are going to pretend to date we need to get along real good don't we?" His question was clearly rhetorical but i replied anyway.
"Exactly."
"So then wheres your roommate?"
"Oh Ivory is just in Portugal right know for work." My reply to his question was instant because I was so proud of how far Ivory had come with her modelling and photography agencies.
"Great. Then I'm staying here."
"Wait huh... WHAT?!" It took me a moment to fathom what he had claimed but after a while I felt completely dissociated. Im fake dating someone and we just flirted. And now he's staying at my house. Great!...Amazing!
"Like you agreed we need to get along better don't we. This way it'll be easier for us."
"What is wrong with you."
"You are so picky."
I squinted at him and uncrossed me arms. He gestured with his fingers for me to come closer to him and for some reason I moved towards him as though it was muscle memory. I hated the fact that I wanted to be near him. The way my body was so drawn to him that it hurt. Adding him to my life is too much baggage right now, surely he'll expect too much from me. I'm going to this dinner with his family and then I never need to do this again. Simple. I stepped away from Vinnie as my fight or flight kicked in, becoming dependent on him right now is the worst thing i could possibly do.
"Is something wrong?"
"I'm not... no. Just leave me alone!" I snapped at him as I turned my back to him. I clicked my knuckles from pure anxiety and stormed up to my room.
"Evangeline. Hey!" Vinnie followed after me as I slammed the door behind me and slid down it holding my face in my palms. I heard Vinnie's footsteps approach the other side of my door.
" Did I do something wrong?" He asked me, his voice turned soft as though he was trying to comfort me.
"Yes! No? I don't know Vinnie just leave me alone okay you're stressing me out."
"I'm not going anywhere until you tell me what the fuck is going on Eva please."
I just wanted to scream at him and tell him to leave me alone but his patience and calmness as he stood on the other side of the door gave me an overwhelming contrast the that night...
"Vinnie I can't do this."
"Can't do what Evangeline?"
"We can't get close we're too different."
"Listen to yourself right now" A slight crack formed in his voice as I gripped the bottom of my dress before pulling my knees towards my chest and placing my head on them.
"I don't like you Vinnie. Just go."
"Hate me if you want but I told you I'm not going anywhere and I meant it." I couldn't handle his patience with me it was almost aggravating. I remained on the ground at my bedroom door and listened to Vinnie's footsteps move further away from me. At least he listened. But for some reason I wish he didn't.