Chapter 7 : Eva(ngeline)

"I'm so late!" I scurried down the rough stone side walk trying my best to make it on time for the end of my break. Feeling the gritty rocks beneath my platforms felt uncomfortable as though I was walking on the ground bare foot. That memory, that stupid memory. I gripped the bottom of my skirt to try and stop my hands from shaking when suddenly, at the corner of my eye, I saw him. His hands gripping the handle bars of his bike as he looked around the road with his visor flipped down. My eyes locked onto him as I could feel his gaze somehow soften. I should probably apologise for my reactions during our encounter earlier. But the real question is , why is he here? Does he know me? Was he looking for me? I tilted my head and smiled at him awkwardly. I couldn't see his smile but I could tell by the way his eyes once black and intimidating, softly squinted once he flipped up his visor as though he opened up his heart for me. He pulled over and took his helmet off;his hair messy and curled from his helmet. I frantically wiped my nose and let out one last sniffle before giving him a wave. He let out a chuckle before returning my wave with a
" Well hello to you too" A soft laugh came out as I almost forgot about how terrible my day had been going.
"Did you follow me or something?" I question as I turn up my face to look directly at him and arch an eyebrow.
"Vinnie."
"What?"
"My name is Vincent but Vinnie for short. I know you wanted to know." He says flirtatiously as he slowly takes off his jacket. "What's your name,doll?"
Before I could think about it I slipped out a "Eva" without hesitation. Basically no one knows my real full name so Eva is all I go by. I let out a soft but noticeable sniffle as he pulled his coat off his arms and held it out to me.
"What's this for?"
"You seem cold I just want to be nice" he looks at the coat gesturing for me to take it. "May I?" He says as I look at him in confusion.
"Um,sure"
I lift my left arm as he helps me put his jacket on. As he leaned down to zip it up for me I couldn't help but admire him up close. He smelt good but in a mature and masculine way, like burnt wood and vanilla. He gazed up at me whilst the zip reached my chin.
"Are you admiring me up there,Eva?"
Fuck.
"What are you even talking about? Get over yourself." I argue as I turn away from him all flustered.
"Is that comfortable for you?" He asks,his voice gentle. Ofcourse his jacket was comfortable,it was as though it kept all his warmth and transferred it onto me. But ofcourse all that came out was:
"No. The zip is itching my chin"
He steps closer towards me, without crouching this time, and hovers his hand below my chin as though he was too scared to put his hands on me. I lift my chin up and he lowers the zip away from my chin due to my complaint.
"Better?"
"Yes." I say as the arrogant crease between my eyebrows began to soften.
"Do you want a ride back to work?"
"I literally just met you"
"And yet you are wearing my jacket and barely standing even two inches away from me" he smirks as I take a step back and adjust my skirt beneath the oversized jacket. We stood for a moment starting intensely at each other as I observed his gaze travel from my face to my thighs. I know I'm not the only one feeling this tension right now.
"I don't feel very well" I mentioned as I pressed my legs together feeling his inspection of my upper thighs intensify.
"I can drop you to work quickly for you to ask your co-worker if you can clock off early, then drop you to your place."
"Yeah right I'm definitely letting a guy I just met drive me home on his motorcycle!" I let out an obnoxious laugh followed by a sigh after I noticed his serious expression.
"Okay fine."
"You're quite a stubborn girl are the you,doll?" I roll my eyes as he gets onto his bike and holds his hand out with his gloves still on.
"I don't have an extra helmet on me right now but I promise you'll be okay" he assures as he gestures with his fingers for me to come closer.
As I stand helplessly in front of him,not wishing the day would end any differently,he fits the helmet on my head and almost unnoticeably caresses my neck before clipping it below my chin.
"Is that okay for you?" He asks while looking straight into my eyes. I nod and he smiles at me before flipping down the visor and grabbing my hand assist me on the back of his bike.