Chapter 19

Andrew's POV

Andrew knew he should leave Anne in Greendale. He should sneak away tonight. She would be safe with the women who were watching the children. He would never forgive himself if something happened to her on the ride to Dawnridge. 

But... he wanted her to go with him. He didn't know why. Was it because she wanted to go and he didn't want to say no to her? Or was it because he didn't like the thought of not seeing her for several days? 

He found the man who was selling horses. He paid the man for a horse then walked back to Mrs. Wilson's stable.

When he entered, Anne was sitting in the middle of the stable holding her face in her hands. When she heard him, she quickly pulled her hands away.

"Here's your new horse." 

Anne walked towards the horse smiling. She was so gentle and kind to animals and children, but he had no doubt she would kill a man if he laid a hand on her. She had no trouble facing a wolf and stabbing it. She reminded him of his sister-in-law Sophie, even though they didn't look alike at all. Anne's hair was blonde instead black, and her eyes were blue instead of brown, and she was taller than Sophie. But Anne and Sophie were both brave and strong. He imagined the two would be great friends. 

His eyes were closing on their own. He was more tired than he realized, and the cut of his chest was very painful, so he walked to a pile of hay and laid down. He let sleep overtake him.

Anne's POV

Anne was up before the sun the next morning, saddling her horse next to Andrew, who was saddling his horse. 

She noticed that his face was flushed again, and he was moving a bit slow. 

"Are you okay, Andrew?" She asked him. "Did you put the ointment on her wounds this morning?"

"Yes. Why?" He didn't look at her.

"Are you sure? Let me see your face."

She stepped forward and raised her hand to his forehead and pressed the back of her hand to his skin. 

Her heart beat hard as she realized how close she was, and that she was gazing into his eyes. He bent his head towards hers. Would he kiss her?

She held her breath. His eyes were searching hers.

What was she doing? She jerked her hand away and took a step back. 

"I did feel a bit hot last night, but I feel fine now. It must have been the lack of sleep. And it was a hot day yesterday."

He went back to his horse as if nothing happened. She did the same, because nothing did happen. She was just concerned about him being sick. That was it. Nothing more. 

But her heart was still beating hard. What would it have felt like if he did kiss her. Would she have been scared? Or would she have liked it, only to feel like a fool when he went back to Dawnridge and she never saw him again?

Soon, they were on the ride to Dawnridge.

After about two hours, she noticed Andrew seemed to be slowing down. She looked back at him. His face was definitely flushed. Did the fever return?

"Let's stop here," Anne said.

"Why?"

"I need to rest."

Andrew guided his horse off the road with Anne close behind. They dismounted and Andrew took a drink. 

"Andrew, are you feeling okay?"