Chapter 28

Anne's POV

Anne had always been an honest person. Part of her was freaking out at telling Andrew he was handsome. To say he wasn't would be a lie. 

"I have to go back home to me family, but would you be happy to see me when I come back?"

"How long will you be gone?"

"Two weeks? Maybe less."

Two weeks wasn't that long to see his family when it would take him two days to get there, and two days to get back, but it seemed like a long time for him to be away.

She looked up at him, memorizing his blue eyes. It was scary how scary she's grown attached to him. She has the urge to tough his cheek as she remembered their kiss.

"Anne, do you like flowers?"

"Yes."

"I want to know everything you like. I want to talk with you, dance with you."

"But there's no music. And I don't like dancing." Was he okay?

"What I meant to say was I want to be where you are. And if you don't like dancing, we can just listen to music, go hunting, and have picnics. Do you want me to come back to Pinecrest?"

Fear went through her. If she said yes, what would that mean? But she wanted to be honest with him. 

"I think I would like listening to music with you, and going hunting and having picnics." She leaned closer to him as she said this. She wanted to kiss him, but she promised herself that she wouldn't. The next time she would let him kiss her, if he wanted to of course. 

He moved closer to her, making her forehead rest against his shoulder. He wrapped his arms around her. 

"Anne..." He whispered her name. Her heart skipped a beat.

Someone was calling the crowd's attention. Duke Ben's voice reached her.

"Anne Evans?"

Anne stepped away from Andrew, who seemed reluctant to let her go. A guard was standing besides them.

"Yes?"

"Duke Ben wants you to hear the announcement."

"Oh, yes... of course."

She gave Andrew a confused look as they both walked towards the fountain, where his father was standing. The guard walked them to the front next to Duke Ben's side, who smiled at her before he turned to the crowd.

"I'm here due to the bravery of these two people. Pinecrest's children have been returned to their parents thanks to the good heart, smart things, and determination of my son, Andrew Wilson and Anne Evans."

The crowd cheered. Anne felt her cheeks grow hot. Andrew was standing so close, she let her shoulder lean into his side. His hand touched her, hidden between them. She took his hand in hers and he squeezed it.

Duke Ben spoke again. "I've been talking with council about who we should appoint as the next mayor. The person we chose to be the next mayor, if she will accept it, is Anne Evans."

Anne went numb on the inside. Did Duke Ben just appoint her as the new mayor?

She heard more cheers from the crows.

Anne was the new mayor. Was this a dream? If it was, she didn't want to wake up.

Andrew's POV

Andrew was surprised when Father called Anne's name. He was so proud of her.

Father looked at Anne. "Will you accept this position?"

"Yes, I will."

Father turned back to the crows. "Anne Evans shall be known as Mayor Anne Evans now."

She was the mayor. She looked happy, and a little scared, to be made the mayor in her stepfather's place. 

People began to crowd around her and congratulate her. He should've been the first one to tell her how happy he was that the town was getting the best mayor possible, but it was too late. The people crowding around them made him step back. She was smiling. He was happy for her.

And now he had to leave her.

He looked around at the people and saw more than one man frowning. Another was shaking his head. They obviously disagreed with Father's decision. Andrew did his best to look at their eyes and glare at them. One saw him and immediately changed his expressing, but two others started muttering to each other.

Maybe Andrew shouldn't leave. 

Father approached him. "Will you be ready to leave in an hour?"

"Father, are you sure Anne is going to be safe? Some people are probably not happy that you made a girl mayor."

"I'm leaving some of my men here. They'll watch over her. Don't worry."

"I know, but..."

"I understand." Father placed his hand on Andrew's shoulder. "It's your decision if you want to stay here or go back with me to see your brothers and sisters. It's been over a year since they've seen you."

"I know. And I want to spend time with them."

"Good. Then come home and you can return back to Pinecrest in a few weeks to make sure Anne is okay and everything is working out."

Andrew walked to Anne.

"You're going to make an excellent mayor, Anne. I'm very happy for you."

"Thank you, Andrew. I thought your father was going to make you mayor. I heard him say it. I was standing outside your door in Greendale and I head him tell you he wanted to make you mayor of Pinecrest."

"He did say that, but I told him you were a better choice. You know the town and the people, and I told him you were very capable."

"You said that?"

"No one is better for this job than you, Anne."

She leaned towards him until her face pressed against his chest. He put his arms around her.

"How does it feel?" he asked.

"It feels so strange. I can barely believe it. I'm in shock."

"I know no one will work as hard as you will, or love the people as much as you do."

"I feel so nervous. I hope I don't fail."

"You would never."