Chapter 22

Andrew's POV

Andrew's youngest sister, Cecilia, took Anne away so she could change her clothes. His father went to discuss the trip with the captain of his guards and what they were going to do to rescue the children. With Anne and Father busy, Andrew went to search for his mother.

As he reached the top of the stairs that led to her bedroom, he saw her coming towards him.

"Andrew!" She ran the rest of the way to him, and he caught her in his arms.

"Mother! I'm so sorry. I'm really sorry."

Mother was crying and laughing at the same time. She looked at his face. "I'm so happy to see you Andrew!"

He hugged her close. 

"They told me you were home and I could hardly believe it. I'm so happy. Are you hungry?"

"I just ate. How are you Mother?"

"I'm good. How are you?"

"I'm good, Mother. I just wanted to tell you that I'm sorry for what I did."

"I forgive you, Andrew. I love you."

"I want you to know that I've changed. I don't do stupid things anymore."

"That's good. We'll wait for your father to come so you can tell both of us what happened the past year."

"I'm here," Father said, climbing the last step.

"I want to say I'm sorry, Father, for everything I did. I'm sorry I disobeyed you. I'm sorry that I joined the Engeler Knights. I killed innocent people and I fought against David and almost killed him. Can you forgive me?"

Mother put her arms around him, and Father came closer and put a hand on Andrew's shoulder.

"I'm proud of you, son. I'm so proud of you."

Andrew cleared his throat and brushed away some wetness that had pooled in the corner of his eye. How could Father say that he was proud of him? His other brothers had done better and braver things than Andrew ever did. Even his sisters were braver than he was. What did Andrew ever do that was brave? 

Father seemed to read his mind because he said, "It takes a brave man to admit he was wrong."

Andrew coughed and cleared his throat. There's one more thing. When David and I were children, something very bad happened and it was all my fault. Do you remember Daniel? The boy who was beaten to death by his father? I was the one who convinced him to chase the sheep. He didn't want to, but I persuaded him and David. It was my fault the sheep died. David wanted to tell you, but I made him not to. David told me we should tell you how upset Daniel was and that he was afraid of his father. If we would've told you, you could've prevented Daniel's death. It's all my fault. And I'm so sorry."

Mother rubbed his shoulder.

"You were only a child, Andrew, but I understand how you felt and why you didn't tell me," Father said. "But I'm glad you're telling me now. You mother and I have already forgiven you. You just have to believe that God forgives you too."

Both Father and Mother put arms around Andrew and hugged him tight. 

Anne's POV

"Here is a nightdress you can sleep in tonight," Cecilia said to Anne, handing her the dress. "And there's another dress you could wear for tomorrow."

"I can wear the clothes I have on now tomorrow. I'll be riding back to Greendale in the morning."

"Riding so soon?"