Chapter 7

Anne's POV

Anne felt something tingle inside as she felt Andrew's hand on her shoulder. She wouldn't let him know how much she wanted someone to trust, how much she wanted to trust Andrew. How had she become so attached to this man in such a short time? Men were not trustworthy. 

"I am not leaving without you. I'm going to stay here until we both find out what's happening here."

Did he actually mean that? Or did he only want her to think he can be someone who cared about her? She would start to trust him, would let her guard down, and then what? If he was a good man, Arthur would kill him, but if he wasn't... he would only hurt her.

Fear gripped her throat and started to choke her, making it hard to breathe. Her voice was hoarse when she said, "I don't need your help." She turned and walked down the street.

But what if she was wrong? She wanted to turn around. But her fear was stronger. It kept her feet moving at a fast pace and her head from looking behind her to see if he was following her. But when he didn't appear at her side like he did earlier, her eyes stung. Was she actually what her father started calling her years ago, when she was too you to understand what he was talking about. "You're a tempter and will end up pregnant begging on the streets."

A couple of years later, she learned she wasn't a tempter , but the words seemed stuck in her mind forever.

Andrew hadn't tried to take advantage of her. He also didn't call her names like she did. Instead, he was kind and stepped in front of The Beast to protect her. Now he was offering to stay close to her to protect her again.

Her heart pounded in her chest. What should she do? Should she trust him? Fear choked her again. She stopped and turned around.

Andrew was still standing where she left him. He was staring back at her.

She started walking back to him as her hands shook. 

Bad things will happen if you let him help you. You will hate yourself for trusting him.

But she didn't stop. She walked all the way towards him.

What would she do if he smirked or laughed at her? She would feel like a fool.

He didn't move, and his expression was neutral as he watched her come closer and closer.

"It's dangerous. But if you want to... to help me discover what is happening with the children... I would be very grateful for your help."

He straightened his shoulders. "I would love to help you."

Andrew walked next to her as they started walking back towards the house she had lived in since she was seven.

Would she soon be free from Arthur? Free from his abuse and threats? She would make sure she and her mother never had to cower to him again. She would find a house for both of them, and she would provide for them herself. They would live off of the animals she hunted, and maybe Mother would start a business selling the blankets that she made. Anne also had a small stash of money hidden in her room from selling some of the animals she hunted, but it wasn't enough to buy a house. The most challenging thing she would have to do, though, is to convince her mother to leave Arthur.

The sight of Emma's father hurrying down the street toward her pulled her out of her thoughts. 

"Anne, you said to let you know if Emma said anything else, right?"

"Yes. Did she say something?"

"I asked her where she had been and she said, 'In the mine.'" 

"In the mine?"