Chapter 18

Anne's POV

Anne woke up to the sound of a horse chewing. She opened her eyes. Where was she? Her heart beat fast as she sat up and looked around. 

Several children lay around her sleeping. Had they been sleeping here all day? The last thing she could remember was Andrew coming back with the rest of the children. Then, he laid down in the middle of the stable, placing his body between them and the door.

Anne stood and saw that he wasn't there any more. Did he leave them? If he did, she wouldn't blame him. The children weren't his responsibility, they were hers. Why should he care? 

But she would never leave the children. She didn't want them to feel like she had when she was younger. Alone and afraid.

Anne stretched and looked around. She had to find food and water for the children. 

Did no one notice they were here all day, or did the owner of  the stable know they were here?

Anne started counting the sleeping children. Forty-seven. Where were the other five children?

Her heart began to pound. Did someone kidnap them? Did Arthur find them? But then why would he only take five?

Jack sat up and rubbed his eyes. "What's wrong, Anne?"

"Five children are missing."

"What? How many did you count?"

"Forty-seven."

Relief spread over Jack's face. "The other five are with Mrs. Wilson. Remember? The woman from the bakery."

"Oh yeah, I forgot. I'm sorry."

"It's okay. Do you need anything?"

"No, you can go back to sleep."

She could do this. She could take care of these children. She didn't need Andrew. She didn't need anyone. She never had and she never will. She had become too dependent on Andrew, and now he was gone. It was a good lesson for her. She was foolish to think he would stay. She-

"Is anyone hungry? We brought some bread and cheese."

A woman stood at the entrance of the stable holding a basket full of bread. Behind her stood five more women.

They came in and started handing out food to the children who were awake. Coming in behind them was a man carrying a large basket.

Andrew.

The air rushed into her lungs. Andrew didn't leave them!

Anne stood back and watched the children get the food. 

"Anne." Andrew motioned  to her to come to him. 

She moved through the sea of children and made her way to Andrew.

"Anne, these are friends of Mrs. Wilson. They want to help us by taking in some of the children."

"Oh." Anne nodded and smiled as they introduced themselves to her. 

Andrew pulled he to the side. "Do you know which children are orphans? One of the women wants to adopt a few of them."'

"I'll ask Jack and Rose."

She found Jack.

"Jack, do you know which of the children are orphans?"

"Why?"

"There is a woman here who wants to adopt some of them, but we won't let her take them if they don't want to go."

"Okay."