Chapter 10

Anne's POV

Anne flinched when the guard's arm brushed against her, forcing to back up against the wall. She could feel the blood drain away from her face. Andrew ordered the guard away from her. Her face burned. She was furious at herself for letting the guard intimidate her. But, did her cheeks burn because of the guard? Or was it because Andrew came to her defense? Either way, they were both equally embarrassing and she couldn't look at Andrew. 

But what Arthur said after that made her feel sick again. Her mind went to the papers she hid in the tree.

"You have it, don't you, Anne?" Arthur stepped towards her.

"Have what?" She decided to play dumb. "I want nothing that belongs to you."

"Do you see what I have to deal with?" Arthur looked sad as he turned to Andrew. "I love her mother, but her daughter hates me for no reason. I'm good to her. I gave her a roof over her head, clothes to wear, and food to eat, yet she insists on defying me." 

Why was Arthur still trying to fool Andrew? Did he not know that she and Andrew were in the mine? Maybe he only knew that she stole the map. He was probably hoping that they didn't know about all the stuff he was doing. 

"It must be difficult." Andrew's voice didn't have any emotion in it.

"It is. It's very difficult. I treat her with love while she does things like steal an important map and try to turn my wife against me."

"Well, if we're done here, I'll just go and fetch my horse and..."

Will Andrew take his horse and leave? Would he go to Dawnridge without her? Of course, that was the smart thing to do. She shouldn't feel hurt. If it was the other way around, she'd do the same thing. But... would he be glad to go without her? She never said anything nice to him. She flinched away from him. She treated him horribly. And she proved that she didn't trust him.

Arthur stared at him. "I'd really appreciate it if you stayed." His voice contained a dangerous tone.

Arthur couldn't let Andrew go back to tell his father about what he was doing. She'd warned Andrew and the warning was coming true.

"Then I'll stay, Mayor Martin." His expression was calm. Not a trace of fear. He was a good actor.

"Good. Then let us celebrate you staying another night by having a feast."

Arthur started moving to the dining room. The guards glared at Anne and Andrew until they followed. She glanced at Andrew out of the corner of her eye. His expression was tense, but when he glanced at her, his face softened and he mouthed, "Don't worry."

They went into the dining room, and soon dinner was served. Mother didn't seem to notice anything was wrong. 

When Anne asked to be excused to her room, Arthur said, "No. I want you to stay. We're having a wonderful evening. Friends and family enjoying a good meal together. You are very fortunate. Other people in Pinecrest would love to have the food that you're eating. But what's even better is that you are spending time with Lord Andrew, son of Duke Ben!"With that, he laughed hard. 

Why was Arthur dragging out the evening?

When the meal was finally over, he dismissed Mother, who glanced worriedly at Anne as she left the room. 

Andrew kept looking at her too. Did he have a plan? But there were four guards standing by the door that led out of the room. How could she and Andrew get away from four huge men guarding the exit? They didn't have any weapons because Arthur took away her bow and Andrew's sword. They would just have to wait for a better chance to escape.

When Arthur dismissed them to their rooms, he and the guards followed them to their rooms, which were side by side. 

Once they were outside the rooms, Arthur motioned with his hands, and one of the guards grabbed Andrew by the shoulder and slammed him into the wall. Andrew tried to fight back, but the guard grabbed him by the throat with one hand and pulled out a knife with the other.

"Stop!" Anne yelled and took a step toward the guard, but another guard pushed her against the wall as well, capturing her arms and pressing them into her sides while Arthur put his hand over her mouth.

She kicked and struggled, but she couldn't get out of their hold.

"Get off her!" Andrew was pinned by another guard.

Arthur turned to Anne with a nasty smile. "I only want my papers back. I know one of you has them, and I'm guessing it's you." He removed his hand from her mouth.

Anne wanted to scream, but what could her mother or the servants do to help them? She would only be putting them in danger. 

"You can harass me all you want, but I will not give you anything. I never have and I never will." 

"Then I will have no choice but to let my guards search you." 

"You said you were a godly man." Andrew's voice was cold. "And a godly man will never allow these men to search Anne."

Arthur shouted, "I am a godly man. The whole town will tell you. They've been witnesses to my good deeds for years."

"If you are so good, then why are you harassing Anne?"

Arthur took a step back. "Fine. But each of you will have a guard watch over you. Those papers belong to me, and if either of you have them, you will be punished."

One of the guards that was pining Andrew gave him a push to the bedroom door and Andrew didn't fight him. He walked to the door and looked at Anne. 

What could either one of them do? 

A/N: I know this chapter is shorter than my other ones, but i promise, the next chapter will make up for it. 

Thank you for reading this far. If you have any ideas or dislikes you want to talk to me about, message me!

I'm also making a playlist for Anne and Andrew, so if you have any song recommendations that you think matches them, please tell me.

P.S. What do you think about the names Anne and Andrew. It's so similar. I was originally going to go with Anthony for Andrew, but the name Andrew stuck. 

P.P.S. If they had a daughter together, wouldn't it be funny if her name was Annie?