Chapter 24

Andrew's POV

Michael and Jack were walking on the other side of the street from Andrew, each hiding a weapon under their cloak. As soon as Andrew spotted the house, they disappeared down an alley out of sight.

A guard was standing outside the front door. It was Robert.

Robert was staring at him as he approached. Andrew said in a deeper voice, "I'm Mr. Davis, the leader of the town council. I learned that the Mayor of Pinecrest is staying at this house, and I want to welcome him."

"How did you know that?" Robert narrowed his eyes at him.

"Mayor Martin is an old friend, we go way back. He sent word to me. Did he not tell you?

"You have to wait here." Robert turned around and went inside the house, locking the door behind him. 

Andrew went to the side of the house. He saw Michael and Jack waiting for him.

Andrew went to the first window he saw. It wasn't locked and it opened with ease. He looked inside and saw a small living room that was empty. He climbed in, knocking over a small table and everything that was on it, making a large crash.

Jack handed him the boy and an arrow through the window.

Heavy footsteps sounded outside the door. The door opened to reveal two guards. Andrew aimed his arrow and fired.

The arrow hit the first guard, making him fall into the other guard, sending both of them to the floor. When two more guards stepped over them to get to Andrew, he brought out his sword, fighting them.

He heard Arthur's voice yell, "What is happening?"

Andrew went forward and stabbed a guard in the neck, but took a cut to the arm in the process. He didn't have time to think about that before the other guard began attacking him. He managed to knock the sword out of his opponent's hand and pushed him into the wall. 

Arthur appeared in the doorway with Robert. 

"Get him!" Arthur shouted.

But at the same moment, a voice from the other side of the house yelled, "The children are escaping!"

The plan was from Michael and Jack to sneak in the house through the back door during the fighting and help the children escape. They must've succeeded.

Arthur ran back the way he came from. Robert looked after Arthur, as if he didn't know if he was supposed to follow him or fight Andrew. 

Andrew bent down and snatched up the bow and loaded it. Robert turned back to Andrew with his sword raised, but when he saw Andrew aim, he turned around and ran down the hallway.

Andrew ran after him, but he disappeared. 

He ran out of the house, hoping to catch up with Arthur and Robert, and hoped they weren't catching up to the children. 

He left his sword back at the house. He dropped it when he picked up the arrow. He only had one arrow and his dagger hidden in his shoe.

He looked down each alley, but he couldn't spot them. He decided to go back to Mrs. Wilson's house because that's where Michael and Jack were taking the children to. 

From a distance, he saw Arthur and Robert peeking through the window of Mrs. Wilson's house. 

He rounded a corner and there was Robert, holding his sword in one hand and boosting Arthur through the window in the other. Robert turned and saw him just as Arthur disappeared through the window. 

"It's Andrew!"

Andrew aimed the bow at Robert, but Robert sidestepped in the last second, making his arrow fall harmlessly to the ground.