Chapter 13

Anne's POV

Anne shuddered on the inside as the disgusting guard stared at her. She would rather die than let him know she was afraid. 

She looked around for a weapon. The guards had been so sure they couldn't escape, they didn't even bother to tie their hands or feet together. They weren't even paying them that much attention, as they were talking to each other.

Andrew leaned over and whispered to her, "There's a pick to your right on the ground. When I give you the signal, go for it and I'll get a sword."

She nodded as she shivered. Did she shiver because of the adrenaline that was flowing inside of her? Or was it because she felt his warm shoulder against her arm? He wasn't like that disgusting guard. Andrew was protective and gentle with her. Why didn't she trust him before? 

As soon as she asked that question, her mind answered back. It was because of how men treated her in the past.

But Andrew wasn't like the other men. He never gave her a reason why she shouldn't trust him. She felt safe around him. Inside, she knew he would never hurt her intentionally, but still, her past haunted her.

A streak of bright red caught her eye. Andrew was still bleeding, reminding her how the guard cut Andrew with the sword.

Her heart somehow jumped in her throat. But it was only because she wished she had something to treat the wound. That was the only reason. She'd never felt an attraction to a man. Why would Andrew be any different? He was just becoming a friend. And she felt pity for his pain. That was it.

She leaned towards him and whispered, "Maybe I could cause a distraction to make one of the guards turn so you could get his sword."

Before he could answer, one of the guards yelled. "Quiet! No talking."

Andrew whispered, "Not yet."

Anne looked at the children. Two of the oldest, a boy and a girl, were whispering to each other. They suddenly looked at Anne.

One of the guards said, "Lie down and be quiet."

The two laid back down. Were they plotting how to escape like Anne and Andrew were? Or were they only talking just because?

After several minutes, Anne felt her eyes become heavy. She hated to admit it, but she was tired. 

She leaned her head back against the wall and allowed herself to close her eyes, but when she felt her head tilt to the side, she forced her eyes open. She had to stay awake. She pinched herself hard on her arm, but Anne's eyes kept closing. There was obviously no danger at the moment. She closed her eyes. How nice it would be to rest her eyes for a couple minutes.

Voices drifted in Anne's mind. Men were laughing and talking. Her head was resting against something hard but comfortable, but it wasn't the mine wall. It was Andrew's shoulder.

She sat up straight. The guards were still standing where they were before, staring at her and Andrew. Andrew was also looking at her.

"Go back to sleep," Andrew whispered. "I'll wake you if-"

"Quiet!" A guard kicked Andrew's foot. Andrew didn't even acknowledge the kick, but closed his own eyes and leaned his head back.

Part of her wanted to lay her head against his arm again, but the other part of her was embarrassed that she slept with her head on Andrew. How could she have let herself do that?

Her eyes were growing heavy again. If she fell asleep, would her head end up on her shoulder again? She forced her eyes open. Andrew shifted, his arm brushing against hers. Her heart skipped a beat.