Chapter 6

I S L A

PRESENT DAY

     TRYING TO SET my thoughts aside and have a decent shopping, I push the grocery cart toward the shelve of processed foods. I can hardly do it without having to think about her. After everything I did for him, he still went ahead and dumped me—even got the nerves to tell me he’d fallen in love with her. So much for trusting a man. I feel like an idiot.

     I pick up two cans of milk and drop them in the cart. A lone shopper walks past me, pushing a half-filled grocery cart. I feel her eyes on me, but I don’t turn and look at her. If my peripheral vision is correct, then she’s a dark-haired woman in a belted dress. Does she recognize me from somewhere? Probably no. I didn’t have a lot of friends in the past. Just as I grab a box of sugar, my phone beeps.

     I pull it out and stare at the screen. New messages. They’re all from Parker.

     Hey, what’s up?
     Are you free tonight?
     Can we go out? I missed the good ol’ days.

     I frown. I hate how he’s been hovering around me lately. It’s been two weeks since I was released, and he’s always checking up on me. He makes me feel like a child. I know he’s trying to help, but I don’t want his help. He’s just going to tell me to see a shrink, and that I should let sleeping dogs lie.

     I can’t deny I’ve also missed the good old days. He, Evans, and I used to go out in the past. We’d stay long hours at the bar, talking about nothing particularly. We normally took the booth at the back and sat drinking and laughing like there was no tomorrow. Somehow I hear our gigglings. Evans’ voice echoing. His silly laugh. It feels like yesterday when we were young and so full of life. But now things have changed. I’ve grown. I’m not the same woman I was years ago. I can’t go out just to have fun when there’s a lot I have to do.

     I quickly text him back.

     Nothing serious. I’m out shopping.
     Nope. I can’t...

     For a moment, I’m tempted to say yes. But Evans won’t be joining us, and I will be too busy learning something about Rosina.

     I continue, I can’t Parker. I’m sorry. Maybe another time.

     I watch three bubbles appear, wondering if I’ve done the right thing. My message is marked as read.

     Parker responds, All right. Have fun. ❤️

     I text back with the love emoji. I sigh, then slide my phone into my pocket. I grip the handle of the cart. As I walk down the main aisle, I notice the woman has stopped and is staring at me. This is it. I’ve had enough.

     Hurrying to her side, I push the cart forward and stop a few paces away from her. “Excuse me, can I help you?”

     She abandons her cart and strides toward me, her stilettos clicking loudly. I get a good view when she’s closer. She’s probably around my age—garishly dressed with a makeover that has been overly done.

     “It’s you.” Her face lights up. “I didn’t think it was you until you spoke. I recognize your voice.”

     “Do I know you?” I ask, confused. Something in her voice tells me she knows me, but I can’t make her out. I rack my brain to no avail.

     “Of course, you don’t remember me, you murderer!” she snaps.

     If it weren’t for the emptiness of the aisle, I’m sure people would’ve turned to look at us. I remember this woman now. Rebecca something.

THE WOMAN BEFOREजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें