Chapter 16

I S L A

     “CAN I TELL you a brutal truth?” I ask Dr. Flynn as he leads me into his cozy office on the top floor.

     “Of course, Isla. Anything.”

     The fact that this man knows my name makes my skin crawl. I don’t doubt Parker has already given him my life history. I don’t blame him. He’s only trying to help. I still can’t believe I decided to do therapy, but I’m here for a purpose and it’s not to get better.

     “I hate shrinks,” I blurt.

     He giggles, and I get the impression he’s the kind of therapist who takes things lightly. But even if he got angry, I wouldn’t be bothered because I don’t care if I offended him.

     “Don’t worry. We’ll get along just fine.” He points to a sofa with cushion upholstery. “Have a seat.”

     I look around his welcoming environment. The half-open windows make room for sunlight to illuminate the place. Potted plants sit on the window sill. On the opposite wall, there is a shelf with several books packed neatly across it. There are several hooks on the wall, which accommodate his suits. A nice scent hangs in the room. As much as I hate therapists, I like his office. Maybe after today, I will grow to like them.

     I sit across from him, a mahogany desk separating us. His desk space is neat and arranged, with nothing interspersing.

     He pushes forward and looks at me with a bright smile. He’s a blond with an oblong face, a Roman nose, and thin lips. If he weren’t my therapist, I’d have asked him what he was doing surrounded by people who had mental issues one way or the other instead of taking a lead role in one of those action Hollywood movies. He’s too hot to be a therapist, but again everyone has their own career choices.

     I wanted to be a medical doctor when I was a child but look at me now—a felon. I know I made poor choices in my life, but I never thought they could land me where I am today.

     “I’m glad you decided to give therapy a chance,” he says, snapping me out of my thoughts.

    Oh, he thinks I gave therapy a chance! He has no idea I’m only here because I want an alibi. If Rosina disappears, I’m the first person they’ll suspect. And it’s understandable. I’m not stupid to go to prison again. I’ve learned all that I need to learn. There’s simply no room for small mistakes. For a conspiracy to work, every action matters. That’s the difference between a criminal and a wannabe criminal; the plotting.

     “What choice do I have?” I shrug. “You seem like a nice therapist. Have you ever thought of killing anyone?”

     It’s a morbid question. You don’t ask people that, but he’s not just anybody. He is a psychotherapist, seasoned in deciphering the minds of people with mental and emotional issues. Any ordinary person who hears this would think I’m crazy, but Dr. Flynn wouldn’t because that’s his field of expertise.

     “Killing? No. But hurting someone, yes. Everyone has a dark impulse. We learn to control them, so they don’t exacerbate. That’s why you’re here, and I’m going to help you.” He sits back in his chair. “Tell me about your life.”