Chapter 37

E L I S E

     I’VE NEVER known what it feels like to look at the victims I’ve conned. After every job, I don’t see their faces. By the time they’d realize they’ve been conned, I’d have been long gone. Some don’t even realize they’ve been conned.

     I don’t know the kind of emotions that are running through me as I stare mutely at Evans Kingston. In my head, I’m cursing Parker. He’s a mess from head to toe. When you join forces with someone who is messed up, they end up trapping you in their mess. Assuming I had succeeded, I would have been in somewhere like Hawaii, Dubai, Greece... looking for my next victim—probably a rich pompous tycoon who doesn’t give a shit about anyone. I know you won’t believe me, but I don’t enjoy tricking good people.

     My last job, I needed money urgently, and the couple was the easy prey. With Evans, I was hired. I didn’t do this on my own accord.

     They’ve cuffed my wrist to the tabletop. I’m in a room with neutral colors. Truth is that, I’ve seen the inside of an interrogation room several times, and I always manage to get out scot-free. But not today. Not when Evans looks like he wants to plunge a knife into my jugular. I’m sure he’d have done it if not for the handsome FBI agent who said his name was Daniel something in the hotel. The one who yanked the cuffs around my wrists. He’s standing close by, guarding me, or perhaps supervising this awkward meeting.

     Before Evans showed up, they questioned me several times, but I said nothing. They wanted to provide me with a lawyer. I declined, telling them I had my own lawyer. He’s gone on a vacation to Mountain Everest with his wife. I told them until he comes, I’m not saying a word to them. They have no solid proof of my involvement with Evans.

     I’m sure Lauren told them about Evans and they called him. I can easily deny meeting this man. If he’s here looking for a confession, then he’s at the wrong place.

     “Who are you?” he thunders, his once sweet voice, now full of despise, pierces through me, and that’s when I know he is deeply hurt.

     But whose fault is that? I was doing my job. He was stupid to trust a woman he just met over someone he’d known for so many years. I don’t understand some men and the poor choices they make.

     I’d have kept quiet and watched him unleash his anger like a crazy man, but out of sympathy I reply, “You know who I am.”

     I know he’s yearning for an explanation. He wants to hear from my mouth that I tricked him. It’s too true to believe—the woman he was going to marry never existed. Rosina Scott is an imaginary woman I created and he has fallen in love with her. It’s a pity he won’t get to see her again. Maybe that’s why he’s angry, or maybe he is angry because he just realized he made a fool out of himself.

     He gnaws his lips. He’s been biting his lips for a while now. I’m sure he’s going to continue doing that. He can’t believe he trusted me.

     “Don’t give me that crap,” he retorts.

     “What crap?” I say, nonchalant. I want to try and feel his emotion, but I won’t. I don’t want to try. He should blame that stupid Parker. He did this to him, not me.

     “You deceived me. You’re not Rosina Scott. Who are you?”

     I heave a sigh. This conversation is getting boring. “Go and ask Parker. He hired me,” I spill out.

     His brows arch. “Parker?”

     “Yes, Parker. Him. That SOB! He did this to you, not me.”

     He runs a hand through his hair, his breath raspy. I’m praying he doesn’t suffocate to death because of shock. But to be frank, I’m surprised he didn’t see that Parker is a mess. I noticed it during our first meeting. Then I realize they didn’t because Parker played with their emotions just as I did. He and Isla thought they had someone they could trust. It’s shocking when close people betray you, but most of the time, they betray you the most. In my world, this doesn’t come off as shocking. We’re prepared for anything. Backstabbing is a word I’m used to. I’m just angry that I saw this coming and didn’t prepare for Plan B. It’s not entirely true though. I do have a plan now.

     Agent Daniel stares daggers at me. All I do is smile at him. I don’t know why he doesn’t like me, but I like him. He’s cute. He should be glad I’m not interested in him. I don’t con federal agents. It’s risky, but I know some brave con artists who do that. I would never dare. Besides, most of them are workaholics and boring. My last encounter with a police officer ended on the same day at the same bar.

     I notice Evans is restless. Surely he didn’t prepare himself for this.

     I say, “As we speak, he’s holding Isla hostage, and I’m the only person in the universe who knows where that place is.”

     He looks completely baffled now. “You’re lying!”

     “I’m not, Evans. Have you seen Parker lately?”

     He stares blankly at me, as though recalling something. I take that as a yes and add, “That’s because he’s nowhere to be found.”

     I know I’m risking a lot, admitting to the fact I connived with Parker to con Evans, but if they find Isla alive thanks to my help, they might reduce my sentence. I will plead guilty to all the crimes I’m charged with and show remorse. At this point, that’s my only option. This isn’t one of the local police stations where I easily slip away when I’m caught. I know I’m trapped and escape from here is nearly impossible. I could call some of my friends in the shadows, but it would take a lot of time for them to do something. Worst case scenario, they might end up causing damage in the process and aggravate my case.

     “I don’t believe you!”

     “I know. That’s why I will give you time to find out. When you do, I will be waiting here.” I pull a face at Agent Hunt. “We have a lot of negotiations to make.”

     I smirk, and he frowns. I know he wants nothing more than to see me rot in jail. At the moment, I will enjoy taunting him.