Chapter 4

I S L A

Five Days Ago

     “HOW DOES it feel to be free again,” Mr. Greyson asks as we walk across the dimly lit hallway in the maximum-security penitentiary.

     My face beams and as I try to smile, I hear my muscles move. “Great. I can’t believe I’m out.”

     The metal door slams shut behind us with a thud. We walk to the glass partition at the entrance of the prison, hulking guards staring at us as though we’re some sort of prey. I sign a couple of papers, then I’m given my old clothes bundled up in a plastic bag.

     Greyson leads me away from the entrance to the exit once I’m done. Each step I take feels like a laborious task I’m forced to undergo. The thought of leaving this place hasn’t settled in yet. I’m sure it won’t for a while. I’m leaving this place I’ve grown accustomed to. I’ve always known this expression; Time flies. But I’ve never thought it was true. It feels like yesterday when a stern guard led me to my cell.

     It’s been ten years already behind bars for a crime I didn’t commit. It’s worth it because I love the man I took the blame for. What wouldn’t you do for love?

     I’ll do anything for the people I love. I don’t know if that’s true love, but I’ve always wanted to do something for my loved ones even as a child. Mom used to tell me that too much love was going to seal my fate, but I knew she never meant it. She’d said it to put an emphasis across. I’ve always taken the burden of my mates upon myself. I was the Good Samaritan in school. It was only when I got into college that I stopped. Things were hectic there, and I barely had time for myself.

     My Evans. I can’t wait to see him, touch him, hug him, and tell him how much I’ve missed him—the many sleepless nights I had from thinking about him. Did he also think about me? I know he did. He loves me just as much as I love him. Is he waiting in the car outside? Maybe he wants to surprise me, and that’s why he didn’t join Mr. Greyson. God, it will be the happiest day of my life if he surprises me with a wedding ring.

     Mr. Greyson opens the metal door, the sun’s warm rays hitting my face. It’s been a while since I saw the morning sun in full. It’s only when we walk to the sleek Toyota that I know this is real. I’m finally leaving this place.

     A cold wind howls toward us. My hair moves violently, swaying with each step I take. Tucking strands behind my ears, I follow Mr. Greyson to the car, the gravel crunching under our feet. He opens the door for me, but I don’t immediately slide in.

     I move my eyes frantically across the barbed wire fence to the guard towers. They land on the large door we came out from. Tears well up in my eyes. I blink them back. Mr. Greyson opens the door wider and I step inside. He closes it, walks to the other side of the car, slides in, and buckles up.

     I hug myself when he rolls up all the window and turns on the AC. Clasping my cardigan to my body, I look around and sigh.

     “Something wrong?” Mr. Gryeson asks.

     I swallow hard, rotating my head to his side. “No. I expected to see Evans. Why didn’t he come?”

     I mean... I thought he’d be waiting for us in the car, smiling and opening his arms to shelter me, but instead, I stepped into a vacant car.