Chapter 19

R O S I N A

     THE COFFEE SCALDS my throat a little as I take a sip. Placing it down, I glance at Lauren. I just finished telling her about Isla and what she did to my wedding dress. Her jaw has dropped all this while and she’s staring at me, her mouth wide open. She sighs and takes a sip of her coffee, then says, “I’m so sorry.”

     I’m glad she didn’t gloat and say, I told you so. The last thing I need right now is someone chiding me because I was naive to believe a forty-something-year-old man hasn’t gotten an ex.

     “I know,” I say.

     I still think I made a mistake accepting the ring again. Evans has promised to have a conversation with Isla, but is that enough to restrain her? I don’t know why I have this sick feeling in my gut Isla isn’t going to give up easily and decide she’ll let Evans and me live happily ever after. After what I’ve witnessed, I know she’s capable of anything.

     “When are you going to buy another dress?”

     I shrug. “I have no idea. To be frank, I’m indecisive, and I don’t want to get married.”

     Clasping my fingers around the mug, I heave a sigh and look at nothing particularly.

     Lauren notices I’m stranded. She moves her hand forward and touches mine. “Everything is going to be fine.”

     I know she is saying it to make me feel better, but who are we kidding? I didn’t tell her the whole story about Isla and Evans, so perhaps that’s why she thinks everything is going to be all right. If she knew Isla’s reason for destroying my gown, she wouldn’t say that.

     I smile ruefully. “I just hope so.”